Moparts

How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body

Posted By: 6PKRTSE

How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 01:30 PM

How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts for a B-Body? I have just seen my first set & thought that must be pretty rare???
Posted By: feets

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 02:35 PM

I didn't know they offered them on B bodies. In all my digging for Imperials, I only saw one with rear shoulder belts. It was a 69.
I'd say you're more likely to find hens teeth.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 05:39 PM

I found a set locally, complete. Including everything to install them. What are they worth? he was going to sell them to me. Just want to make it fair on both sides.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 05:40 PM

They are pretty rare , I've never seen a set other than pictures in the parts catolog.

What condition are the belts and chrome , etc . ??

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 06:09 PM

I found out they are only available in black. They looked to be in pretty nice condition.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 06:57 PM

"RARE" indeed!!

A few years ago there was a set from a "pilot or promo" '70 GTX on Detroit's Craigslist, I wonder if these are the same set? The numbers I have for '70 GTX show .1% of US production (7 +/- 4 cars) had them.

There's was a FT6-"dark tan metallic" w/black & charcoal leather '70 440 4bbl 4-spd Charger R/T SE I saw at the '86? NAT's that was coded for them, but they were missing. I've also seen a EV2-"hemi orange metallic" w/white interior '71 440 6bbl Charger R/T in CA with them.

I was looking for a black set for a '71 'Cuda that was supposed to have them a few years ago - Great Lakes NOS said they had a set of (green?) ones from a '70 Grand Coupe but they never materialised. There was a red 383 Challenger R/T "dealer demo" on Ebay that had them, I'll see if I can find the pics. GG's '70 Cuda book shows .1% for US spec. 'Cudas (17 +/- 8 produced)
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 07:28 PM

I have yet to see a pic of these in a car. Does anyone have one?
Posted By: johnedod

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/15/10 11:50 PM

Wow. I didn't know they even existed back then. Learn something new here every day.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 12:36 AM

Quote:

Wow. I didn't know they even existed back then. Learn something new here every day.

I believe rear shoulder belts became an option on all models starting in 1968. Very unusual to see them, most I've seen have been on executive's cars where they checked every possible box on the option list.

My '68 Barracuda fastback didn't come with shoulder belts at all. In the front there isn't even the threaded holes to mount them but the mounts for the rears are there up at the top by the rear windows. If you have one of these cars you'll see a small dimple in the metal trim panel, this is where you drill the hole for them.

Sedans mounted them behind the seats and they came up through the package tray, I think most of the package trays started having perforated sections where they could be knocked out so the dealer could install them.

If you want to see something really odd, look for a convertible with front shoulder belts. They come all the way from the back seats to the front. Had a '69 Dart convertible at the junkyard with bench seats and the front shoulder belts. All in blue too.
Posted By: cornucopia

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 05:56 AM

yes, the '68-70 package trays all have the knockout pre-perfed for the rear belt...

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 06:10 PM

Thought I had a deal worked out. Someone told him they are pretty rare & now the price has increased. I just can't afford that much for them.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 06:51 PM

Quote:

That I had a deal worked out. Someone told him they are pretty rare & now the price has increased. I just can't afford that much for them.

Rare doesn't always equal value but a lot of people don't get that.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 06:56 PM

Seems like everyone is out to make a buck these days & I don't blame him. I always pretty much give things away if I don't need them & someone else can use it.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 07:01 PM

Quote:

Thought I had a deal worked out. Someone told him they are pretty rare & now the price has increased. I just can't afford that much for them.

If your car was originally equipped with them, I'd think you'd have to figure out a way to strike a deal. If not I'd walk away and wish him well...
Posted By: efisixpack

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/16/10 08:47 PM

I would walk away if you are not happy with the price but understand that may be the last set you ever find. It's just like every other rare part, how bad do you want it?

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/19/10 09:23 PM

Unfortunately, I want them pretty bad. I just like them because they are different. But as always money is an issue. Still working on negotiating a fair price. Hopefully we can woek out a deal.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/19/10 09:44 PM

Here are a couple pics of a factory rear seat belt '68 Charger that was at Carlisle a few years ago.

Attached picture 6309805-shoulderbelt68.jpg

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/19/10 09:45 PM

Pretty simple, don't know if the '70s were the same?

Attached picture 6309810-shoulderbelt1968.jpg

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/19/10 09:47 PM

Does he have the re-inforcemnt plates & were there bezels for the package tray?

Attached picture 6309812-shoulder.jpg
Posted By: Pool Fixer

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 12:49 AM

This can be done inexpensively without the factory pieces. I put 3 point retractable belts in the back of my charger. I used aftermarket "hot rod" seat belts and I don't remember being more than a 100 into the whole thing.

Attached picture 6310086-finished12122.jpg

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 12:51 AM

all the package trays on these cars have the cutouts for them too...I assume that because my charger does and most everyone I talked to said their 2nd Generation chargers did too.

Attached picture 6310091-trimpiece12121.JPG

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 12:52 AM

I meant the metal shelf...if you add them you have to cut the cardboard on the tray, sorry.
Posted By: cornucopia

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 05:34 AM

yup. all the 68-70 B-bodies have the cut-out in the metal tray and the top "board" part has a perf outline for the cut-out. super rare option!
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 05:51 AM

Quote:

yup. all the 68-70 B-bodies have the cut-out in the metal tray and the top "board" part has a perf outline for the cut-out. super rare option!

Nope not ALL...

Attached picture 6310536-coronet002.jpg
Posted By: DennisH

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 09:34 AM

Rare schmare. Who cares.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 02:10 PM

Quote:

Rare schmare. Who cares. For the mostpart, rare is a ******** term.

Why the hate ?

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/20/10 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nope not ALL...

you got us there.

I'm not sure if the OP was dead set on a stock set up for dennis's aforementioned rare shmare factor lol...or he wanted the belts for practical reasons.

Even if you didn't want to go totally aftermarket like I did, that stock set up looks like you could duplicate it if you had some extra belts laying around.

I have a factory service manual drawing of the setup for anyone who wants me to email it. It helped me figure out how to do mine.

I will also throw in that my set up is field tested as my charger got smashed in the face by an 80 year old man with me and my 8 year old on board. She was unscathed.

Attached picture 6310772-smashupderby1a.jpg

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/22/10 04:27 AM

I mainly want to do this upgrade beacuse I have 3 kids for safety & I want it to look factory. Sorry to hear & see what happen to your Charger. If I had anything from a 68' Charger that would help you repair yours. I would donate it to you but I don't, sorry.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/22/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

I mainly want to do this upgrade beacuse I have 3 kids for safety & I want it to look factory. Sorry to hear & see what happen to your Charger. If I had anything from a 68' Charger that would help you repair yours. I would donate it to you but I don't, sorry.

I guess you answered the question of the price increase, can you really put a price on the safety of your children?

But if that's the reason you want to add them then I guess you would need to add in the cost of having them restored to make sure the stitching and webbing is still good ?
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/22/10 05:13 AM

This would be a very practical and desireable to be reproduced. Where's Mike from BE/A?

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/22/10 06:10 PM

6bblgt,
Do the belts you posted pics of still use the same as all of the other belts in the car? I finally saw pictures of the belts he had & the buckles "do not" match the rest of the Chrysler belts. was this how Chrysler did them? I may just make my own as others have done. Thanks for all of your reponses guys.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/22/10 06:16 PM

Quote:

6bblgt,
Do the belts you posted pics of still use the same as all of the other belts in the car? I finally saw pictures of the belts he had & the buckles "do not" match the rest of the Chrysler belts. was this how Chrysler did them? I may just make my own as others have done. Thanks for all of your reponses guys.

Looking at the pictures the buckles look like factory buckles and clips, I'm not to impressed from a safety standpoint of the belt with a bolt thru it to keep it from coming thru the package try.
Posted By: attaboy

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/23/10 03:02 AM

I don't know about the 70 B body but they came from the factory on my 71 Charger R/T. They're black, just like the rest of the seat belts in the car. Got them on both the driver's side and the passenger's side. I use mine every time I go for a drive. The cops here are so anal that they'd give a ticket if I didn't use them. Children with guns.....
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/23/10 03:21 AM

Quote:

I don't know about the 70 B body but they came from the factory on my 71 Charger R/T. They're black, just like the rest of the seat belts in the car. Got them on both the driver's side and the passenger's side. I use mine every time I go for a drive. The cops here are so anal that they'd give a ticket if I didn't use them. Children with guns.....

Are you a backseat driver?

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/23/10 03:45 AM

Quote:

No need my friend...that's why god invented the 79 year old man's insurance company. It was a rare score one for the good guys scenario lol

Attached picture 6315427-rideheight3-10.JPG
Posted By: High Impact

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/23/10 03:50 AM

I too thought they were pretty rare and when the set showed up for sale on the detroits craiglist last year I made a trip to my parents garage and sure enough, the set I removed from my 68 Sport Fury were still in the box there. I planned on putting them in my 68 Charger RT for the heck of it as most people never knew they were even an option , but the car still isnt done................someday, someday.

I've done Mopar for 25 years and have never seen a set other than mine anywhere!

Good Luck.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/23/10 01:56 PM

High Impact,
Do have pics of the belts you have? Do they still use the same buckles as all of the other belts in the car? I finally saw pictures of the belts he had & the buckles "do not" match the rest of the Chrysler belts. Was this how Chrysler did them?
Everyone seems to think they are they same but I have seen 2 different sets of pictures now & the buckle ends appear to be different then the other belts.
Posted By: High Impact

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/25/10 02:40 AM

Quote:

High Impact,
Do have pics of the belts you have? Do they still use the same buckles as all of the other belts in the car? I finally saw pictures of the belts he had & the buckles "do not" match the rest of the Chrysler belts. Was this how Chrysler did them?
Everyone seems to think they are they same but I have seen 2 different sets of pictures now & the buckle ends appear to be different then the other belts.

Well, Like I said, they were in a 68 Sport Fury and as far as I remember they used the same buckles and any other car from 1968-70. I will be there tomorrow for "turkey day" so I will go out to the garage and get them.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/25/10 04:40 PM

High Impact,
Let me know if you decide you may want to let this set go. Thanks.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/25/10 09:31 PM

Here's an e-bay link to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250730564866

Looks like they are the deluxe style belts, which I believe were an option. A rare and cool piece IMO.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/26/10 04:53 AM

Quote:

Here's an e-bay link to them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250730564866

Looks like they are the deluxe style belts, which I believe were an option. A rare and cool piece IMO.

Is that the style BUCKLE used starting with 70 or did those come out later ?

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/26/10 04:14 PM

All 3 of my 70's & every other 66-70 I have had always had the large square flip type buckles. The is one of the reason I have been asking for pics of more proof of what they look like. These just seem too generic to me. I could be wrong. It would be cool to add them. Just not for what he wants for them now.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/26/10 04:34 PM

From the pictures I have seen, they are definately correct "deluxe" belts for 70. They were even offered on superbirds.

I would look at it this way, what is cooler a real hemi charger or a 318 charger with a hemi in it? What I mean by that is yes, you could probably put together some sort of buckle/seat belt that would work for you, but they will never be the real thing. Being your car is optioned for them, I would jump all over them IMO because you will never find another set. Just my $.02

Let me know if you decide to pass on them. I won't bid against you as I would like to see you get them, but I would not mind putting them in a superbird I have if you decide not to.
Posted By: m46rat

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/27/10 03:23 PM

The deluxe belt style was available in 1970 ONLY so the belts in the auction are correct for 1970 ONLY. The usually messed up parts book, section 23 says that the part numbers that the guy listing the auction are for V and L cars only, Valiants and Darts. The seller seems to know exactly what he is talking about so I would say the parts book is incorrect regarding that part number: 3453 603, which it also says is correct for 1971 only, again, another error.
Posted By: cataclysm80

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/27/10 03:50 PM

WOW, Now that's RARE! I feel privileged to even SEE a set.

What are the small brown metal brackets for?

I'd REALLY love to see an E body set!!

Tav

Attached picture 6323193-70DeluxeRearShoulderBeltsforaBBody.jpg

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/27/10 04:17 PM

If these are corect for 70. Would all of the other belts matched these deluxe style rear shoulder belts with the deluxe belt option?
Posted By: m46rat

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/27/10 04:57 PM

I believe these are for deluxe seat belt(C15 on the option code or broadcast sheet) equipped cars only, and of course only for 1970 cars, that was the only year these were available. It is a pitty that the accuracy of the 23-49 section of the parts book has so many errors in it. There would also be a non-deluxe set as well, but I don't know what the seven digit number would be. The vast majority of 70 cars were non deluxe equipped seat belted vehicles.
BTW, the design of the chrome ends and the buckle with rectangular push button are unique to the 1970 model year.
BE and A's reproduction of 1970 belts use the 71 style chrome end. I think that because of this, the original 70 Chrysler belts are worth a lot more!!

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/27/10 09:25 PM

Quote:

I was looking for a black set for a '71 'Cuda that was supposed to have them a few years ago - Great Lakes NOS said they had a set of (green?) ones from a '70 Grand Coupe but they never materialised. There was a red 383 Challenger R/T "dealer demo" on Ebay that had them, I'll see if I can find the pics. GG's '70 Cuda book shows .1% for US spec. 'Cudas (17 +/- 8 produced)

I just saw this Dan. Wow, Again! That's the first I've ever heard of anyone actually seeing an E body set. I'd be THRILLED to see that Challenger picture if you can find it!!

Tav

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 11/30/10 04:35 AM

Quote:

I was looking for a black set for a '71 'Cuda that was supposed to have them a few years ago

If you had a car that was coded for them and you couldn't find a set, It doesn't look like it would be very hard to make a set from a pair of front seat shoulder belts. I was just looking at the pictures in the Factory Service Manual (which are the only E body rear shoulder belt pictures I've seen anywhere), and most of the parts look the same as the front shoulder belts. Both ends of the belt are the same, shoulder bolt is the same, & plastic bolt cover is the same. The spot to drill the bolt hole is marked on the backside of the factory interior panels, no special grommet like the B bodies use. Length of the Belts may need to be adjusted, which would require a good sewing machine and some attention to detail so that you match the stitching pattern. You'd also need to install a metal snap on the belt for storage. Metal snaps are readily available, and the FSM has nice pictures for reference. ECS can make the tags for the belts, but I've no idea what #'s should be on them. Maybe Dave or Dwight know? Looks like the hardest thing to make would be the Reinforcement bracket that goes under the package tray. I'm sure someone could fabricate a couple of those with some effort, and if that fabricated part wasn't an exact OE match, at least it's the part that's out of sight under the package tray. So few people have even seen one that probably no one would notice if they were looking right at it.
What do you guys think? Does this sound do-able? What #'s should be on the tag?

Tav

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/01/10 10:38 PM

Heres a link I found on Google that shows a 1970 coroent with the deluxe buckles. They look the same as the ones in the auction to me.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267096/1970-dodge-coronet-newhaven-un-gb

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/02/10 02:07 AM

Looks like the auction ends in 1:20 minutes. It will be interesting to see what they end at.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/02/10 06:27 PM

Thanks for the pics EFI. And thank you all for the feedback. I learned alot that I did not know. I saw what they went for too. That is just crazy money to me for seat belts!!!! Oh well, I get them somehow, someday.... Even if i make my own.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/02/10 09:58 PM

Well it's too bad you didn't win the auction but think of it this way, you have a good idea now what thye look like and what needs to be done to install them. Now just find some buckles, fab up a few little parts and get someone to stitch the belts together. I think you will have a lot less in them in the end, just more time. If you do this to yours, you should consider making a kit that others can buy too. Just a thought. Love your charger BTW.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/05/10 05:19 PM

So, anyone on here the lucky winner? That was just way too rich for me.

Re: How rare is the 1970 Rear shoulder seat belts-B-Body - 12/06/10 12:24 AM

I was third (#2 loser)!
© 2024 Moparts Forums