Here is how I am doing my current project.

I am dismantling everything and trying to restore the pieces (or buy the replacement items if it is a wear item) as I go. So the dismantling is going pretty slow. The upside to this is that I am able to restore items in units so that I will be less likely to forget them down the road. Also, I am bagging and tagging everything and taking photos or making drawings as need to job my memory come assembly time. While I can remove and install the drivetrain, I am not comfortable with doing an engine rebuild (mainly because I don't have the time or or money to re-fix it should I mess something up), so I leave drivetrain things to those who do it on a more regular basis. I only pay people for things that I can't do or can't do to my level of satisfaction. I tend to major bodywork and painting to professionals because I would never get it good enough. I do, however, have body panels media blasted and primed and oversee that element to save money. It's really a matter of how much you are willing to do that will enable you to spend less on the restoration.

Your car doesn't look that bad. I had to laugh when I saw your dented door because I have the undented version of it same color and stripe sitting in my garage as a back-up panel for my project. I would love to do a vert. I think it would be really fun. Just get motivated and do it. Carve out some time even if it's an hour a day or week and get going.

I would love to see your car done. Good luck with your project.

Joe

4536402-teardown.JPG (65 downloads)

65 Barracuda
70 Challenger