Quote:

I'm not Ohio, but here's something to think about:

I heard directly from an Indiana DOT enforcer, in a DOT-related training class, within the last year, that:
if you are using the vehicle to make money you fall under their blanket of commercial vehicle.

So if you're hauling a car to the scrapyard and will receive $ for it, you are commercial at that point.

He also said having 'not for hire' on your door does not make any difference.

Lots of gray area involved, and some of you guys will fall under the net of commercial unless you're prepared to spin a convincing story to The Man if he pulls you over.

Everyone knows if you win at racing, then you get $$. So that's why you don't put joe blow racing down the side of your trailer.

Your right, not for hire don't mean anything except, look at me.

I have enjoyed many of road trips in our great country pulling my 49' enclosed trailer and have never been pulled over. I don't speed and take care of my equipment. It's clean and polished before I leave my shop. It has worked for me in many different states. They don't hassel operators with good maintained equipment.

If your stuff looks like you don't do anything to it from week to week then they are looking for you.