After the cranking problems that I had last sunday at Mopar Thunder, I've decided to do what should have been done long ago-rewire this car to todays standards.
First, a little back ground. '72 E body barracuda, batteries (2 red top optimas) in the trunk, no alt. 440 +.030", 13.6:1 compression, race gas. The pos cable went from each battery to master disconnect, to the starter. from the starter to the starter relay, to the rest of the car via factory fusible link, using factory ign switch. Ground from each battery went to frame rails under the battery.
Never had a problem with this set up except a battery went bad last year, (replaced under battery warranty) even running 2 classes at Bristol (going to finals in both) with a total of 17 passes in 10 hours, charging in between early rounds.
Then changes were made. Gear drive, crank trigger, locked out timing at 36*, MSD pro power coil. Had run this set up for 4 races with a total of 28 passes until last weekend (mopar thunder). Fri we made 5 passes, charging between rounds. Sat ran 2 classes, 13 passes no problems. Sunday, take car out of the trailer (charged batteries over nite) low voltage caused starter kick back. Nothing but trouble from that point forward. 6 passes, had to be jump started 3 of them.
The questions; I'm pulling pos and neg cables from batteries to starter, with grounds also to frame. Will a #2 gauge cable be large enough?
Will putting ignition switch seperate from start switch be ok with out a start retard? (start spinning engine, then light the fire). I'm also going to remove factory starter switch, will 14 gauge wire be large enough for every thing else? (except relay to starter, 10 gauge)
Am I missing anything else? I will appriceate any guidance you guys can give me.
Sorry this turned out so long, but this HAS to get fixed. Thanks again, Brian Dunnigan