Well Ive been using my Hobart MIG for years now and have done just about anything with it. From sheet to plate to Alum.
I finaly got a deal on a TIG that I couldnt pass up and let me tell you its a WHOLE NEW WORLD out there. This is way more comlicated than the Mig ever was. Its not the welding. I have also gas welded for years but there are so many different ways to TIG from air cooled tips to water cooled tips to different types of gasses to different types of tungston electrodes to metal prep. ect ect ect.
Ive talked to guys who build cromemoly race bike frames that are in the Tour De France that purge there frames with nitrogen before welding to a guy who builds stainless exaust systems. And will only use water cooled tips.
To Team Tourch who practices welding on a neadle.
There are just so many varibles that to do it right you will need to be taught by someone like Ron Covel who knows just what you need for a certan process. Or at least get one of his books.
It was interesting when they asked Jesse James the bike guy what he would like to be rembered as. And he said "As a really good welder" I think he realised just how hard it is too be good at many different types of welding.
Im having fun but WHOO what a learning curve.

66 Dodge Coronet (Race?) 69 Dodge Dart (Street?) 70 Plymouth Cuda 440-6 (Stock!) My Tech Web Page www.freewebs.com/iron-iceberg/index.htm