Quote:

Quote:

I really don't feel like spending money on a MIG welder, because, for the most part, I think they weld like crap (no penetration, splatter, slop, toothpaste welds, etc), but in this case, that's is what you need! We have a 200A MIG at my work. In fact, I was the one that bought it, because I knew everyone could pick it up and run with it.

First, if your Mig welds are coming out that bad, there's something set wrong. Second, don't think you'll take that 200 amp machine (with it's .030" or .035" wire) & not warp the panels just as bad as with the Tig! .024" max, C-25 (25% co2) or straight argon. This is actually where I'd prefer a cheap 110V machine over a 220... Oh, & third, you need a really small tungsten diameter & there's still no guarentee it won't warp like crazy. (Have you tried running the high frequency continuously in DC? I found that it stablized the arc better than "straight" DC when doing REALLY low amp jobs.)

We use the 200A machine at work for stuctural stuff, fixtures, maintenance, etc.

As for my colorful description of MIG weld beads, I guess I've seen sooo many bad mig welds, that I just assume all are like that. We do have a custom fabricator that we contract out work too, and there MIG welds look beautiful -- looks like a stack of dimes. Mine look like poo.

I'll look into other options like electode positive mode or AC.

Thanks for the responses.
Molloy