I'm on the fence as to the pistons. While the forged is stronger, it's also heavier meaning a re-balance. I'd be tempted to save the $300 on pistons (If the OEM ones are in GOOD shape) and do $300 worth of machine work instead...food for thought.

Okay, so you're (bucks) down and dirty. Save the aircraft stripper deal. Take some oven cleaner and a wire brush to the car wash and go at it. That will get the block cleaner than you think it would.

Make sure you knock the freeze plugs out first. New brass one would be good...add a dab of JB Weld to the perimeter as cheap insurance against one popping out.

Ball hone it and wash it again in HOT soapy water and blow it dry. Go ahead and assemble it with what you have, replacement rings and all. I would use a full grove bearing. Use a steel shim (.017 I think) head gasket and bolt it all together (reusing the stock main and head bolts).

Have the rods been resized? If not, that will be needed with the new bolts.

Get a new oil pump, (standard volume is fine) and a new timing set. The gear drive will need just as much $$ spent on the missing parts AND will eat up HP. Like the main and head studs, it's simply not needed. Plus the timing chain will be a breeze to install!

It SHOULD go low 12's - high 11's as is. BUT, with that much gear it's going to be "done" well before the finish line. Besides I wouldn't want to take it over 6,000 with the stock parts. Hopefully the crank is within spec, (even if on the high side of the tolerence) but be prepared to have it ground 10-10 or whatever it's going to take to get it fixed. The good news is a crank turn is pretty cheap.

It will probably have too much converter and labor real bad in high gear...not having enough steam to use all of that converter.

If you're going to have to keep the gear and run the converter you have, I would strongly suggest keeping it on the 1/8 mile...will prolong the life of the motor and be SAFER with so many stock parts.

On another note, I am very sorry about your loss...but it appears that your folks raised a GREAT son. Your Dad (and I bet your Mom) is VERY PROUD of you!!

If I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me. I've built several bucks down deals (Wait, I'm STILL bucks down...LOL!) That have ran (and lasted) pretty good.

Last edited by cudadoug; 08/03/10 11:06 PM.