Quote:

I used to send my oil out to be tested about 20 years ago, it always came back usable. I really didn't learn much other than the oil was still good and I was wasting money on oil testing. I guess that's why I run the miles that I do on motor oil.

Used Oil Analysis was worth it for me. What I learned from it was that my oil was averaging 2-to-3% fuel dilution which prompted me to get caught up on some maintenance items.

I had my fuel injectors professionally flow tested and cleaned and I replaced my PCV valve.

Although I haven't retested my oil since those changes, my car idles better and has improved low end torque. And since excessive fuel in the oil degrades it more rapidly, I'm hoping for an even better Used Oil Analysis report next run.

Now had I continued the rut I was in by changing my oil every 3-months regardless of mileage, I probably wouldn't have been so proactive about targeting the aforementioned maintenance items the oil analysis promoted me to do.

Also, the money I saved by changing my oil less paid for the Used Oil Analysis.

Back to the issue of fuel dilution. It's a known fact that PAO synthetics take a beating to fuel dilution better than conventional oils.

For example: