Moparts

Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ??

Posted By: dOoC

Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 06:41 AM

WHAT determines WHEN you change it ? ... I do the eyeball, smell and feel-test more than actual mileage.

Someone I know is going to me but I just checked my last THREE changes(as far as mileage) .... and this opened-my-eyes ....

4246, 5464 and ..... 9016

...and the last two did not really need a change ... I just felt my little 4 banger 5 speed Caravan deserved some fresh-oil.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 06:52 AM

I'm a firm believer in frequent changes, gets harmfull acids/sludge/metal shavings out. At least 4X yearly (if not more). After all my $$$ invested
Posted By: Dads426

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 11:42 AM

Most of my family drives Toyotas that have a sludge problem if the oil isn't changed on a regular basis. Plus, they would never change the oil if it wasn't for me. So we just schedule oil changes at 5000 mile increments for all vehicles. Makes it easy; I just ask what their mileage is and change it at 5000, 10,000, 15,000, etc., miles.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 11:57 AM

I change oil in my work trucks every 15K miles. They hold 44 qts.

My F-450 diesels get's changed changed every 12K miles, they hold 15 qts.

My pickup trucks and cars get's changed every 10K miles.

Been changing oil now since 1984 and have never had a engine failure. We do use a top quality oil (Amoco600) I also have built many motors from scratch. OH yea, everything I own get's 15-40, lawn mowers and all.

Changing OIL EVERY 3-5k MILES is a waste of money, I maintain more than 20 vehicles for 25+ years now. I know from experience, not from what someone says.
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 02:20 PM

main questions are how you drive, were you drive and type of vehical. If you drive short trips all the time and never warm up the engine, change it more often, if you live in a very dirty, dusty area, change it more often. if drive mostly highway you can extend it longer. I feel the biggest problem is not the oil going bad, but what gets in the oil that can cause problems. on todays modern cars i do beleive you can go longer, but alot of people push the issue, but we don't mind putting in new egines for those customers. todays everyday consumers don't check there oil (or any other fluids) between oil changes, so that why i tell my customers to try to change it at 5,000 miles. it's cheap insurance
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 02:29 PM

I know the 2.4 VVT-2009 model engine has a engine oil over heat warning that will cut power if the oil temp is too high. I never saw that before, also the oil change light comes on due to use cycle roughly every 2000 to 3000 miles. The more highway driving you do the less it comes on, The longest on my own cars I have gone is 6000 on synthetic oil and most was highway driving. I have seen 360s and 318 thatb went 20K on oil changes and they were not pretty inside but they ran. I have had 5.4 Fords go 25K and never been changes But I don't recommend it. They used semi suynthetic oil and have 7Qt capacity
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 03:07 PM

I change mine every 3500 miles since it`s cheap insurance but it`s your car do what you want. Going 10,000 miles as someone mentioned is crazy IMO.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

Going 10,000 miles as someone mentioned is crazy IMO.

It might sound crazy but I have been doing it for a long time. My newest vehicle right now is a 2001 truck with 350K miles on it. Couple of my older trucks have close to 500K miles on the odometer, BUT our trucks idle alot running PTOs, so they have even more miles on them then the odometers shows.

All of our pickups have over 100K miles at this point.

You know alot people let em go that long,

Amoco 600 is made for HD trucks and extended changes. I also used Shell Rot T 15-40 for at least 15 years, same oil change intervals.
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 04:13 PM

My 2004 Saab 9-3 specifies 10,000 mile OCI's but only if you use GM Long-life rated oil, Mobil 1 0w-40.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 04:34 PM

All this extended range is rated on ideal driving conditions and driving practically non stop so that contaminating condensation is immediately gone and other combustion contaminents that are formed are rapidly burnt off rather than deposited in the oil. In most cases the daily drivers are relatively short drives and IMO requiring frequent oil changes. Extended oil ratings or not, synthetic or not. It is not the oil that goes bad but the contaminants that it contains that most filters cannot remove. Oil change frequency will depend on the type of driving being done during that changes duration. BUY GOOD OIL KEEP IT AND YOUR ENGINE CLEAN. It will lead to a long and happy life. Mopar recommends the same change mileage for either dino or synthetic oils in the owners manuals I have. Oil is still the cheapest maintainance item there is there is no reason in the world not to change more often.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Going 10,000 miles as someone mentioned is crazy IMO.

It might sound crazy but I have been doing it for a long time. My newest vehicle right now is a 2001 truck with 350K miles on it. Couple of my older trucks have close to 500K miles on the odometer, BUT our trucks idle alot running PTOs, so they have even more miles on them then the odometers shows.

All of our pickups have over 100K miles at this point.

You know alot people let em go that long,

Amoco 600 is made for HD trucks and extended changes. I also used Shell Rot T 15-40 for at least 15 years, same oil change intervals.

yes, but that 44 quart oil pan also allows for the oil to go much longer before it reaches the same ppm contaminants than your average, 3-5 quart oil pan on today's economy cars, light duty trucks etc.

I change our cars every 4-5K with their 3.5 qt oil pans, and our dakota every 6-7K with it's 6 quart plus 1 quart in the filter oil capacity.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 04:49 PM

I usually go every 6 months, which for us works out to about 3000-4000 mile intervals.
Posted By: RoadRunner

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 05:49 PM

My manual in my 09 F-150 says evey 6000 miles. I have been going about 5000 miles between changes. I use full synthetic and drive mostly highway 64 miles per day, plus it has an 8 qt capacity. The wifes 2001 New Beetle uses 4 qts. She drives shorter trips so I go every 3000 or so before changes, using non-synthetic.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 06:48 PM

My neon burns enough oil that it gets a fresh quart every 1500 or so so I dont feel the need to change the oil anymore; it changes itself.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 06:54 PM

I use only Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles in both cars.

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with 122,000

1999 Buick Park Avenue with 200,000

I've had Buick 3.8's in the past go close to 300,000 and never had a failure. The only reason I've never seen more than that is because I sold them or the wife wrecked them!

Both cars get fully warmed up and see plenty of highway miles to burn off contaminants.

I tried going to a lighter 5w30 over the recommended 10w30 for better mileage but they started burning it.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 07:37 PM

Quote:

I use only Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic and change it every 10,000 miles in both cars.

2003 Pontiac Grand Prix with 122,000

1999 Buick Park Avenue with 200,000

I've had Buick 3.8's in the past go close to 300,000 and never had a failure. The only reason I've never seen more than that is because I sold them or the wife wrecked them!

Both cars get fully warmed up and see plenty of highway miles to burn off contaminants.

I tried going to a lighter 5w30 over the recommended 10w30 for better mileage but they started burning it.

Cool, I knew I wasn't the only one going longer than 5K miles.

I have 3 work pickup trucks that get driven short trips almost everyday. Two of them are 5.7 GM engines and have 80-130K miles on them and they get 10K mile oil changes. 1 1998 and 2 1999 trucks, one has a 454 engine and has done some HD towing.

I live 1.5 miles from work and some times my truck only sees 3 miles a day and it has 80+K miles on it and has always had 10K oil changes.

I'm living proof, I've done it!!

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 07:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, but that 44 quart oil pan also allows for the oil to go much longer before it reaches the same ppm contaminants than your average, 3-5 quart oil pan

So true, that's why I listed the oil capacity, they could go longer for sure. But they cost alot of $$ also.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 08:17 PM

I will admit that both cars use approximately 1 1/2 to 2 quarts in between changes with the 10w30.

When I used the Dino juice (Quacker State) I religiously changed them at 3,500 miles.
Posted By: CrAlt

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 09:11 PM

Every 3K with supertech.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 09:25 PM

It is funny that people really think that just because they use synthetic oil that they can extend their oil change frequency. The oil whether Dino or synthetic collect the same contaminants and it the contaminants that do the damage not the oil wearing out.
The chrysler owners manual suggests the same oil change schedule either way.
Oh well to each their own. Like I said oil is cheap maintenance so I will continue with my frequent changes.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 10:01 PM

I had a 1980 ford F-350 with a 351 V8 on Propane since it was new.
I only changed the oil on that thing about ever 25K miles. We drove it to 380K miles and sold it. It's still in the neighborhood, I see it sometimes. I have had other vehicles on propane gas boy do they run clean.
The ford I talked about above made it to about 375K miles before it broke a valve spring. I took the valve cover off for the first time and stuck a chevy valve spring in there, it's still running today. The top of the head was spotless after 375k MILES WITH 25k OIL CHANGES ON lp GAS.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/26/10 11:46 PM

LOTS depends on how "sweet" the motor is ...and how much compression it has.

SWEET ? ... how sealed-up-tight it is. I must have a sweetie-pie 4 banger. The last oil I dumped was over 4k miles ...and it had barely changed color. That just-over 9k mile change ... it STILL looked good .. but it was nearing winter-time and I put in a load 5-30.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 12:01 AM

Quote:

It is funny that people really think that just because they use synthetic oil that they can extend their oil change frequency. The oil whether Dino or synthetic collect the same contaminants and it the contaminants that do the damage not the oil wearing out.
Oh well to each their own. Like I said oil is cheap maintenance so I will continue with my frequent changes.

So you're saying that synthetics "break down" at the same interval that dino juice oils do?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 12:11 AM

I change mine every 3 months and it's usually pretty black looking by then. I rarely get on the freeway, and most of my trips are in the 30-40 minute range.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So you're saying that synthetics "break down" at the same interval that dino juice oils do?

No what I am saying is that they collects the same dirt and crud as dino oil and will do the same damage in the same amount of time. Even Mopar recommends the same oil change intervals using it.
In the same breath I wouldn't use a sythetic but that is up to you.
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 01:49 AM

When I bought my Buick GN new, I'd use Mobil 1 and a new filter every 2000 miles. I drove it really hard like it was meant to be driven and always try to let the turbo cool down, but still the 2000 mile change. The trans went out at 100,000 miles but never had any problem with the motor. Wish I still had it. Wish a total Mobil 1 and filter change was still $25. That seemed really high back then. HaHa.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 02:06 AM

Have dak w/4.7 and a 3.2 intrepid. Neither are users, have over 100k miles and get changed every 3 or 4 months or 3500 mi.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 02:07 AM

Quote:

My neon burns enough oil that it gets a fresh quart every 1500 or so so I dont feel the need to change the oil anymore; it changes itself.

good to know i am not the only one!

i have to add a quart or 2 a week to my chevy beater pick up.

it smokes like a fog machine at a kiss concert, but wont die.
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 03:25 AM

Ha,ha! smokes like a fog machine at a kiss concert! Too funny. I change oil every other month. 120 miles per day. '99 Dakota R/T.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 11:09 AM

Quote:

WHAT determines WHEN you change it ? ... I do the eyeball, smell and feel-test more than actual mileage.

Go to this YouTube video and fast forward to 1min, 10sec. into the film - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB7PL5MHicU

Case in point, the color of motor oil doesn't determine it's useful life.

Quote:

It's equally funny how people think oil filters are created equal just like motor oil. If you want to run an extended life synthetic motor oil, you probably should step up to an extended life oil filter.

Look, I've been driving the point here for a while. The key to determining oil change intervals is with Used Oil Analysis.

I've been doing Used Oil Analysis on my daily driver and can back up what I'm talking about with laboratory analysis.

For example, I went 10-months/7,500-miles on an extended life synthetic motor oil and appropriate oil filter. I then changed the oil and filter, caught a used oil sample and sent it off to an ISO accredited lab for analysis. I even went one step further and paid extra for an ISO particle count to see the larger contaminate particles suspended in the oil. The report I got back stated that the oil was still suitable for use and to re-test after another 3,500-miles or 65-hours. Too bad the oil was already dumped and at the recyclers at that point; money down the drain.

So you have people changing their oil based on color, feel, smell, opinion, but not on the reality of modern oils, filters, and mechanics.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 11:20 AM

I used to send my oil out to be tested about 20 years ago, it always came back usable. I really didn't learn much other than the oil was still good and I was wasting money on oil testing. I guess that's why I run the miles that I do on motor oil.

I own a oil company, you would think I'd be preaching 3000 mile oil changes. lol

BTW as soon as I dump new oil in a diesel crankcase and start the motor, it turns black. You can't tell anything by looking at it.IMO
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 12:00 PM

Every 9 months on all three. Less than 7,000 miles a year COMBINED. Amsoil/Napa Gold.
09 Challenger 0-20
06 Daytona 5-20 (MDS)
69 Coronet R/T 10-40

Ride the Train to work and save the weekends for tire smoke.
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 12:01 PM

I go different periods of time and mileage depending on the vehicle and how it is driven. I run Mobil one in my 350 Tuned Port engine in my daily driver El Camino. It sees 60 miles a day, mostly highway, and is still pretty clean when I change it between 7500 and 10,000 miles, and does not use any oil. The original 305 went 280,000 miles without the benefit of synthetic oil for the first 180,000 miles ! When I pulled it apart, it was clean with no visible wear.
My Barracuda with 360 six pack , Mobil One oil, gets alot more contamination in the oil, and gets changed every year. It sees little mileage usually , but sees too many warm ups.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 09:43 PM

Quote:

I used to send my oil out to be tested about 20 years ago, it always came back usable. I really didn't learn much other than the oil was still good and I was wasting money on oil testing. I guess that's why I run the miles that I do on motor oil.

Used Oil Analysis was worth it for me. What I learned from it was that my oil was averaging 2-to-3% fuel dilution which prompted me to get caught up on some maintenance items.

I had my fuel injectors professionally flow tested and cleaned and I replaced my PCV valve.

Although I haven't retested my oil since those changes, my car idles better and has improved low end torque. And since excessive fuel in the oil degrades it more rapidly, I'm hoping for an even better Used Oil Analysis report next run.

Now had I continued the rut I was in by changing my oil every 3-months regardless of mileage, I probably wouldn't have been so proactive about targeting the aforementioned maintenance items the oil analysis promoted me to do.

Also, the money I saved by changing my oil less paid for the Used Oil Analysis.

Back to the issue of fuel dilution. It's a known fact that PAO synthetics take a beating to fuel dilution better than conventional oils.

For example:

Posted By: RobR

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 09:55 PM

Every 3000 km for my everyday driver...
Posted By: donbarnes

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 10:13 PM

Oil change every 3,500 miles on our 3 daily drivers. On the boat, motorcycle, and Mopar when it changes color on the stick and I can't see through the oil anymore- Regardless of whether that's 500 miles, a thousand, 6 months or 2 years..
Posted By: dodge41969

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 10:20 PM

Quote:

Ha,ha! smokes like a fog machine at a kiss concert! Too funny. I change oil every other month. 120 miles per day. '99 Dakota R/T.

Wow!, I thought I was the only one with a crazy commute, I drive 115 miles a day, and I use:10w30
Mobil 1 synthetic, every 10,000 miles (all freeway miles) 65+M.P.H. all the way, '97 Ford Crown Victoria (cop car) 4.6 V8,25 M.P.G.,
the last Crown Vic. I had went 420,000 miles and still ran great,the tranny was toast though!
Posted By: Pauls69

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 10:23 PM

change mine every 4 months (Dec/April/Aug). the every 5K is a good idea too (easy way to remember), but i like to change mine a little more frequently. just use wallymart's supertech oil & filters & have never had a problem. someone told me it was just rebranded penzoil, but i'm not sure if that's true.

on a sidenote, no one i know changes their own oil anymore. they've all farmed it out to the quickie lube spots.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 10:28 PM

Well ....knock me over with a feather .... ole C S is here !!!

Come on now ...the eye-ball "test" can sure give you the quick basics
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/27/10 10:32 PM

Every 10,000. I have 1 Dodge truck with over 200,000, 1 Dodge van pushing 200,000 and an 03 Dodge truck with 130,000, never an issue.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/28/10 07:12 AM

Quote:

main questions are how you drive, were you drive and type of vehical. If you drive short trips all the time and never warm up the engine, change it more often, if you live in a very dirty, dusty area, change it more often. if drive mostly highway you can extend it longer. I feel the biggest problem is not the oil going bad, but what gets in the oil that can cause problems. on todays modern cars i do beleive you can go longer,

First correct answer right there.

You will have to chose your interval considering many variables.

Our daily driver loafs along the highway at 2000rpm, it's fuel injected and mostly highway. This can be extended.

My truck is a carbureted and it's a 5 speed manual. You can bet I row it through the gears at full throttle often. With it I stick to 5000km.

Re: Changing oil on your daily-driver ... ?? - 07/28/10 10:00 AM

Quote:

Well ....knock me over with a feather .... ole C S is here !!!

Come on now ...the eye-ball "test" can sure give you the quick basics

What's up doc?

It's always a pleasure to talk oil with you. Anyway help clearify if you would...

I can't read through this text communication as to if your are you joking or not? Do you really believe in some sort of "eye-ball test"?

Quote:

Someone I know is going to ___ me but I just checked my last THREE changes(as far as mileage) .... and this opened-my-eyes ....

4246, 5464 and ..... 9016

...and the last two did not really need a change ... I just felt my little 4 banger 5 speed Caravan deserved some fresh-oil.

Also, you're listing mileages of your last three oil changes, correct? How did you know the last two did not need a change? And did something happen with the fist oil change that it needed changed sooner?

AKA, ole C S
© 2024 Moparts Forums