Quote:

I'm looking at purchasing either the Lincoln 180 or the Lincoln 140 MIG welder. I plan on doing mostly sheetmetal repair & replace work on my Mopars with it.

I have had a Lincoln 110V fluxcore unit for about 10 years. It has been troublefree except for normal consumable stuff. I also have a 220 unit and I rarely use it.

For just sheetmetal, the 110v is all you need, and as mentioned earlier the portability is great. The lighter weight of the tip and cord is nice for close-quarter jobs, too.

Quote:

I have access to much larger MIG and TIG welders anytime I want if Ineed to fab cages or anything bigger.

If you're sure you can get to a bigger unit whenever you need it (will the people that own these welders always be in your life?), get the little one IMHO.

People will always tell you bigger is better 'cuz it's not their money being spent and they don't know your budget. If you're not a beginner, and you have an idea of what work you'll do with it, buy what you need based on the work you'll do. Why spend extra money on capacity and bulk if you'll never need it?

Something to consider - both those machines require a MIG conversion kit to run MIG. They come standard to run flux-core wire. Based on my experience, fluxcore makes for a hotter weld, which leads to sheetmetal warpage, and it makes a LOT more spatter. To use fluxcore on body panels requires more patience and time to cool between welds. MIG conversion kits are generally $150 plus you have to get a bottle, and those aren't cheap.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.