Car runs way too rich at an idle, maybe all across the rpm range, too. I'm talking burn your eyes kind of thing; always has, I've just never felt comfortable/knowledgeable about dialing in carbs/timing/plugs,etc. So I've let it run "rich" assuming I was erring on the side of safety. But no more! Time to confront my fears! Here's my combo: '72 340, 1.88 j heads, 8.5 +/- comp, .474 lift/228 deg @ 50 cam, hooker super comp headers. 4 speed car. Ignition is MSD 6al, stock dist (w/15 deg adv. plate and orig springs), rn12yc champions gapped @ .045. Idles about 900, 13" vac, timing is set at 12 initial, 38-40 total at about 3500(I know that's probably too much- I'm either going to order FBO's plate & spring kit or weld up my slots). Carb is stock from the box (9 years ago).I don't have an A/F meter and I'm a bit nervous about getting the thing too lean. My first impulse is to step up the "big end" of the metering rods (71 to 73 to 75) but leave the power size alone.Good idea? Could a plug heat change help? What do I need to watch for/look at while I'm doing this? As stated above, it's been this way for years; I'm just tired of making excuses for why it doesn't seem to run right!

In order to know what you want, you'll probably have to find out what you don't want.