Quote:

when "smart" people pick cams they look where they want the four events to occur,,, then figure the durations and seperation from there.

Jeff, I don't think that is smart as much as someone with experience. I like to think I'm relatively smart, but don't have the experience with race engines like you and Mike have. Once you've tested cams over the years, you would develop a feel for what the engine wants. For me, I'm on the beginning side of the learning curve for SS type engines. For me it's more about planning a test of cams to get where you guys are already. My DOE software can test it either way, using the opening and closing events, or durations and LSA. Reducing the number of variables to three vs. four makes the need for half as many cams to test. Advancing and retarding the cam saves that over than grinding specific cams with specific event points. Using a two-factor DOE, it only takes eight cams vs. 16 for the methods you guys use. My plan is to use lash changes to adjust durations and that just leaves LSAs to change as a screening test. I'm thinking three cams with LSAs of 108, 110 and 112 should give me a pretty good idea of what I will need if I start pretty close to the right starting point (285* on the Hemi). Keep the lobes the same on all cams, just change the LSAs. Feel free to tell me why it won't work if you can understand my methods.

Floyd Lippencott IV