Ok, so the build was a big learning experience. I don't really know how much of this is normal and how much was "other than normal" but here's the way it went down.
Everything went well during the initial ordering and receiving except the intake mix up. After about a week in the machine shop I was told the sonic test was good and the line bore guy was getting my caps and block honed. That took about a week and a half. No problem there except that I figured there would be a report on the sonic test. I didn't get one.
So the machine shop gets the block back and finishes the bore and torque plate hone supposedly to fit each individual piston. The reason I say supposedly is because in the past when I got my block and pistons back the pistons were numbered-these were not and only one had benn handled. I say that with some confidence as everything that was touched was pretty dirty.
Afew days pass and the machinist calls me to come see something. At first I thought maybe he had finished the work and I would be able to take it home. Not the case. He wanted to show me that my dirty piston was a little in the hole. Not a seemingly big deal, how high is it I asked? I don't know he replied! I'm getting a little scared at this point. So I said can we measure it? He says he's been trying but keeps getting different numbers! I'm officially scared! The tools being used obviously weren't up to the task so I stayed there for about an hour and a half trying to get a accurate measurement with no deck bridge. After putting the piston and rod assembly in all for corners we found that the deck wasn't machined even from side to side so I had him deck it to blue print taking only what was necessary to clean the lower side and that meant taking .019" off the high side. At this point I still didn't know what my deck height was but I was pretty sure it was even now. I did buy a deck bridge and check it when I got it home and it was even with .021" proud pistons. No problem.
Back to the machine shop. Last minute he calls me and asks if I want the block machined for a 1/2" oil pick up and says I really ought to. I had read in many places that it wasn't necessary for my application but I figured it can't hurt for $25. He cracked the block! I went to look at the finished product and immediately saw the crack in the pick up boss. He gave me the look and said he'd try to find someone to weld it up for me. I said that's ok, I'll handle it. I just wanted my block home before anything else happened!
So that was my experience with the machine shop. More on the repair of the block later. Thanks for checking it out and sorry it's so long!