So here's the starting point of the build. I have only planned for the short block so far as I'm still learning about all of the resources available for figuring out the heads, cam, lifters and so on.
I found a 1970 383HP motor on Craig's List. It was a little rusty but it looked ok to me. $250.00
I took it to US Automotive Machine and Performance here in Loveland CO and discussed my goals with Tom and Jeff. After a little back and forth on who to get the parts from, they both agreed that after checking with their vendors, they'd also go with 440 Source for the rotating assembly. I initially was a bit concerned with Tom's recommendation to go with his vendor, who for diplomatic reasons shall remain nameless, but was greatly relieved when I returned a few days later to learn that he and Jeff had done some research on their own and felt that 440 Source had all of the bases covered and were now straying from just the bottom line for making a buck but were actually putting me, the customer, first.
So, Jeff being the apparent right machinist for the job went ahead and started cutting on my block to essentially "blue print" it and find out how far we needed to take it to clean up the bores. He found at about .043 over we were looking pretty good and stopped. The right thing to do as he doesn't have the new pistons to correctly do a finish bore and hone.
My turn. There's surely going to be a lot of this back and forth here. Since 440 Source doesn't give any discounts to the the machine shops, Tom had me order the parts myself to save on taxes. Another thing to consider when talking to the machine shop. Can he make a buck on the parts? After all, labor in most businesses pays the overhead so where's the guys profits? I'll discuss how I intend to make it profitable to them once I've got my short block back and we're square on the agreed upon pricing. My experience has been great with these guys and I believe most shops will be honest, but let the buyer be ware! You might be the guy who comes in when the guys rent is do!
So anyway, $250 for the block,$1997 for the rotating assembly, $70 for upgrading to the ARP rod bolts, $50 for the upgrade to the chamferred main bearings, $374 for a main girdle kit with billet steel main caps, and a few bucks for misc. bolts, timimg pointer etc coming to a total of $2801.39 from 440 Source.
So without figuring machine work I'm into this for $3051.39. (I love you Kate!)
Stay tuned for the updates, I'm learning just as much as some of you watching! To the others, I still do appreciate the comments and suggestions!