Quote:

Thanks 426HEMIDAVE. It would seem the '69 Six Pack blocks don't have the magical "C". I've encountered three '70 six pack blocks that all did. I've got one in my garage right now. You're also correct about the other '70 440 engines, they don't all have the six pack rods. I own a factory '70 440 "U" code 'Cuda HP that does NOT have six pack rods in the engine. There may be no way of clearly telling a '69 Six pack from a 4 bbl. engine except for the VIN. The "C" started appearing in the 1970 engines.

You guys don't need to back each other up concerning the 1970 440's all having the heavier six pack internals or not, I made a blanket statement concerning what internals a 70 440 would have. I'm the first one to admit that Chrysler was a bit hit or miss when it came to "standard" procedures or parts, exceptions are more common than not. I will say that all 70 440's SHOULD have had the Six Pack internals as it was a design change that was made accross the board after having a number of lower end failures with the 691/2 cars. That being said it's quite possible the some 70 cars still recieved the lighter weight parts, especially early built cars.

My main reason for posting in the first place is that there has been a TON of misinformation tossed around about "how to id a 440+6 block", and the bottom line is simple, it's all tied in to the VIN# and some other basic stamping features that any regular 440 HP could also have (including the C stamp).

There's no other sure fire way to tell one from the other except for the VIN, no C, no secret stampings, no decoder ring required.