Check out the floors under the drivers and passengers feet. This is the first area to rot out on these things. Also check out the lower 1/4 panels behind the rear tires are well as the rear wheel openings in the 1/4's. There is NO reproduction sheet metal out there for these vehicles so starting with a rotten one is a bad idea.

Motors and transmissions are pretty good, I've never had to do a head gasket on one, and I overheated one pretty good and suffered no ill-effects. I find they run well, but like said the stock carbs tend to be an issue. Weber makes a nice carb 32/36 or something like that. It's been a while. Actually the stock holley carb is a licensed weber design modded for emissions.

Biggest con is in stock form neither the motor nor transmission have any performance potential. The DC supercharger kit like the one pictured are very hard to find and pricey, plus they don't put out much power. Their auto and manual transmissions won't take much abuse at terribly higher than stock hp levels and require a shifter mod to make a later 80's daytona/other turbo car transmission work. If you want to go turbo you have to find an engine wiring harness from a 87 or prior turbo L body charger or omni. The later years use a different bulkhead connector and IIRC 88 was the changeover year, although the later harness will work if the later dash harness is also swapped in.

My brother's got one he's been slowly fixing up. Bit of a pain in the butt to work on being so tight under the hood.

In all honesty if I ever wanted one, I would get one with a manual trans, put a shelby charger 2.2HO carb spark computer in it and a weber carb and drive it and a fun little economical cruiser instead of doing the whole efi/turbo conversion.