I had a silly memory triggered earlier today.

I was checking the VIN on one of my fleet of nearly identical [unnamed make and model] cars today, to make sure I was getting the correct car's current odometer reading to report to my insurance company. (The lightly-driven members of the fleet get a discounted rate for being lightly driven.)

Anyway, the VIN tag on this model of car is very carefully affixed with special tamper-proof rosette rivets...

...to a plastic defroster duct strip running along the front edge of the dash pad. Said plastic strip is in turn attached to the car with a few interior clips and two torx fasteners. This strip can be removed with a simple hand tool and about 45 seconds of effort. The last time I scrapped one of these cars, it was without the dash assembly. I put this strip of plastic back into the car, balanced with just the center interior clip holding it in a precarious balance in the very center. This, so they could still see the correct VIN plate that matched the door sticker that matched the title, etc.

When it came time for the yard worker to verify the VIN, he simply looked in through the windshield at that one VIN, and signed it off.

Gotta love that attention to detail.

Down to just a blue car now.