Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Also I am running a steel crank 440 engine. On steel crank engines they are internally balanced, no added weight on torque converter. If you are running a cast crank 440 engine you will need a balanced flex plate or some kind of a balanced torque converter. Maybe one from a 360 would work not sure on that someone better on transmission could answer that. Or maybe knock the weight off your 440 T.C. and tack weld it to the Lockup T.C. in the postion it was on the 440 T.C.
Larry

I wasn't aware that the cast crank 440s had weights on the converter or flexplate. My cast crank 440 has a balancer that says "used on cast cranks only". Am I still going to need a weighted converter to put my 727 behind it in my truck? I don't have the original converter anymore so I can't verify if it had any weights on it.

Or you just need an earlier 518 thats not a lockup, then you can use any torque converter, stock or aftermarket for your application. I knew aftermarket converter will run $2-300 I bet. and LU converter selection is limited.

Larry were able to find a LU converter for yours?

440/400 have the same weights if they are cast crank motors.(340 cast crank , 360 and 360 magnum are all different weights!) Most of the cast crank c body converters are 12" narrow ring gear and take a different flex plate than the wide ring gear 11" verson.

The above convertors are non l/u You can weld the weights from a 440 cast crank converter to any converter you swap in there. I've had to do it for customers with 360's 400's you name it.

Watch out for 518 convertors that DO NOT have the one offset bolt. You could probably use one on a 440 cast crank with the coresponding flex plate but you would have to do serious figuring and marking where the weight would go!

Sandy in Nova Scotia formerly drdodge340
68 coronet wagon, 68 formula s 340 fb barracuda-69 super bee-72 aussie charger-72 aussie vh dodge ute
-76 feather duster-76 duster-77 street van
- 98 ram 1500 SS/T-99 ram 1500-13 ram red express truck- 2015 hellcat challenger