Quote:

What did you run out of pics????

No Hadn't been much to show in last while was waiting on some gaskets. Finally had those and started back on project last night. I removed the pump to replace the gasket behind the pump. With taking those pump bolts loose I figured I should replace it.

First thing to do to remove the pump, break the jam nut shown loose and tighten the screw that is shown to keep the trans together when you remove the pump.

Next remove the pump. There is really a slide hammer tool for doing this, but I didn't have it, so I took two pieces of 3/8" all thread a couple of nuts and larger nuts, my 2" & 1 7/8" sockets and made my own slide hammer tool. These screw in at about the 9 & 3 o'clock postitions once you have the pump bolts out. Remove and replace the gasket behind the pump. This gasket only has one direction it will go on, make sure it lines up. Next you need some guides studs to put it back together, I used 5/16" all thread for guide studs. Lube up the o-ring around the pump and place the pump over the guide studs. Install pump.

On the Ultra Bell there are some O-rings that need to be installed place them at the bolt holes as shown. Besure to put a little sealant on the bolts as trans fluid can leak around them. Tighten all the grade 5 or better bolts to 20 ft/lbs. I used grade 8 bolts. Besure to loosen the bolt that you tightened earlier to keep the trans from coming apart as you removed the pump. Loosen the bolt about 1 1/2 turns, tighten the jam nut.
I would have been installing the trans last night but the parts store gave me the wrong trans filter kit. It was to deep and wouldn't let the pan bolt on. I'll pick the right filter up today and be putting it in later on today.

Last edited by adventurer; 04/29/07 11:11 AM.

77 Dodge Adventurer SE 440 2wd SWB
78 Dodge Adventurer SE 440 2wd Utiline
90 Dodge D150 SWB 2wd 318fi 4speed
60 Desoto Adventurer 2dr
67 Dodge Dart Gt Conv. 273 4bbl
04 PT Cruiser GT Turbo
14 Ram R/T
"Life's to short to drink cheap beer."