]

You could start by NOT undercarbing your 440 like too many people on here seem to do. A holley 750 is nowhere near enough for that motor with that kind of cam....especially if it still has the same jetting it came with out of the box. And an edelbrock 800 will not be a step in the right direction either. Sure, they have good just off idle response in their accelerator shot, but they are lean as heck form there out becuase they do not hold any danged fuel.

You need a holley 850 double pumper for that motor that is properly jetted and fitted with squirters and eccelerator pump cams to compliment said jetting.
You will not recognize the motor in the world of difference in its runability and performance.

I'm sure most racer's love there Holley carbs. I personally hate them. I've never had one that you weren't constantly tweeking. Change in temp, air presure, a fly landing on the windsheild. Anything seems to change there tune. I'm not building a racer. I'm a Saturday night red light to red light guy. I like a good tire frier. I don't want to spend 20 minuites every time i want to take the car out to tweak the carb.