Guy's I appreciate all info. Let me fill everybody in on what's installed and exactly what I have done the past 3 weeks. You all know what cam is in it, Xtreme268.I went with the package that compcams recommends for this cam. matching valve springs and lifters. KB400 pistons, .03 over, stock 906 heads with 3 angle valve job. Mopar dual plane intake and electronic ignition. 2 weeks ago I was able to get my initial timing at 14 degrees at idle and 35 at approx. 2800 rpm's. I always thought that all advance should be in by 2800, isn't 3600 a little high? Well like I said when I took it out for a 60 mph 25 min. drive on the highway halfway down I turned around off exit and noticed how much faster it was idling and the temp had gone up from when I started out. When I got home and pulled it into the garage it was running around 1000, that is when I started out at about 925-950 idling with no vacuum advance hooked up then. Sorry guy's but I have done just about everything that you all recomended. Then I played a little more with dist. springs and I ended up at one time with all 35 in at idle and it was idling a lot better but I was told that it really should not all be in at idle so I reworked it again and with little springs I have it came in at 28 at idle and there is one spring that I end up with 10 degrees at idle and it was way too sluggish.I had a carter 625 that I changed rods, springs and jets and it never really worked. Now I have the AVS 650. My engine builder dialed in the cam and installed it straight up which compcams recommends due to all there cams are machined with 4 degrees advanced in them. Do you think I could just go ahead and drop in the dist. spring that would put me at 10-11 degrees advance at idle at unhook advance and go for the same drive to see if changes anything?
I was always under the impreesion that for street driven cars that you must leave the advance hooked up just for good drivability and mileage. Does it also help keep engine cooler? I probable don't have but 100 miles on engine since it was rebuilt, could it still be really tight and causing alot of friction/heat because of that. Guy's, I am really in foreign terretory with! Has anyone ever had a phenolic 1/2" spacer that was out of flat up to about .005? I have one and I just took it off today and left it off.

Last edited by superbeedave; 06/19/09 12:15 AM.