I swapped to manual steering in my 72 Charger. Its a 440 car, weighs 3650lbs empty, has a 13" wheel and 295 tires on the front. Its got a stock box and its a breeze to turn. BUT... i drive it fast, the tail got away from me between two guardrails at 80mph in the canyon and how i saved it i'll never know. I'm a good driver... but there was a lot ov luck involved. I had to crank that wheel FAST. I'll never take that chance again. The suspension guy who installed it for me told me to try out the stock ratio and maybe i'll like it. Nope. Too scary at speed.

I've got a 70 Challenger thats getting a big block, 4spd and some serious rubber on the front (gonna start at sticky 275/40/17's and see how wide i can get). The car wont weigh much, 3300lbs at VERY most, and thats only until i can put some more money into it. This car will also have a smaller wheel... i just like them.

So, Flaming River makes a 16:1 box, but its iron. Anyone have an idea how much heavier it is than my stock aluminum box? Weight savings is a big issue.

Also, if i have a 16:1 box and add the fast ratio pitman and idler, will this work even better? or are there issues involved with that i should know?