Well he's clearly never driven anything with manual steering.
Yes a 13" steering wheel is totally unacceptable with any ratio of manual steering. You are going to want 15" or larger in diameter. And Do not run any wider than 215 series tires on the front (trust me on this one) If you go with the 24:1, you want as large a wheel as is practical. You CAN one hand drive that, but going into curves and whatnot, your hand will end up in seemingly unfamiliar and odd places in the circle of turning. But that's just something that comes with it. Do not get 16:1 if you are not a strong man. No offense intended there, but that ratio of manual steering box is what separates the men from the boys. So you should only use that if you work manual labor for a living, or are a boxer etc.
I personally have 16:1 manual on one of my cars that i street drive all the time right now. People always ask when I put the power steering into it, because i make it look that easy. But I also have the engine compartment lightened up to less weight than a factory small block, and the battery in the trunk. I of course also run 215/70 tires and keep them around 40 psi for easier low speed turning. But I do also work manual labor for a living, and my dad tells everyone I'm built like a brick youknowwhat house, and years of practice with said box all make it kind of a special case.

Track yourself down a 20:1 worm gear if you can find one, and have firm feel install it for ya.
It'll be the best of both worlds. And for the love of god get a REAL factory/factory sized steering wheel.