Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by A727Tflite
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by RAY1969CARS
Just talked with a1. Who did the trans I guess it’s what happens when it’s been sitting too long. The converter drains back. It’s works fine after I drive it every day

Convertor drainback is one of the FREE FEATURES of the 727 ... Your original question says it feels spongy AFTER it warms up ? That didn't make it sound like convertor drainback. Chrysler FINALLY did something to help combat this in the 48RE trans after mid 2003 I believe it was , they added a seat ring to the stator support and more seal surface in the convertor snout for the seal ring to seal against.

Anywho it takes roughly a minute, to a minute and a half, for the entire hyd. system in the trans to charge and the convertor to refill , I assume your trans has the upgrade manual valve , but anyway pop it into neutral after starting and sit for a couple minutes before trying to engage drive.

Actually that added seal isn’t to address drainback - it’s to add to converter capacity in lockup. The only thing Chrysler did to try and address drainback was to add the anti-draindown valve in the cooler line on rear wheel drive vehicles.

Thanks for that clarification , I thought I read in one of the diesel forums it was for drainback. I removed that anti drain valve out of my 2000 because to me it was a flow restriction.

Question unrelated to the op's issue since you know a lot more about these things ... would changing my 47RE front pump to the larger gear/rotor 48RE pump be beneficial? I don't have a 48RE snouted convertor in it so I'll leave that seal ring out.

You won’t see any benefit going to the 48 pump. Unless you have the 48 cooler lines and hauling a bunch of weight the extra flow won’t help anything.
You can only pump so much fluid to brought the smaller lines.

And if your 47 is behind a gas engine you don’t want to use the diesel pump.