Originally Posted by A727Tflite
Originally Posted by JohnRR
Originally Posted by RAY1969CARS
Just talked with a1. Who did the trans I guess it’s what happens when it’s been sitting too long. The converter drains back. It’s works fine after I drive it every day

Convertor drainback is one of the FREE FEATURES of the 727 ... Your original question says it feels spongy AFTER it warms up ? That didn't make it sound like convertor drainback. Chrysler FINALLY did something to help combat this in the 48RE trans after mid 2003 I believe it was , they added a seat ring to the stator support and more seal surface in the convertor snout for the seal ring to seal against.

Anywho it takes roughly a minute, to a minute and a half, for the entire hyd. system in the trans to charge and the convertor to refill , I assume your trans has the upgrade manual valve , but anyway pop it into neutral after starting and sit for a couple minutes before trying to engage drive.

Actually that added seal isn’t to address drainback - it’s to add to converter capacity in lockup. The only thing Chrysler did to try and address drainback was to add the anti-draindown valve in the cooler line on rear wheel drive vehicles.

Thanks for that clarification , I thought I read in one of the diesel forums it was for drainback. I removed that anti drain valve out of my 2000 because to me it was a flow restriction.

Question unrelated to the op's issue since you know a lot more about these things ... would changing my 47RE front pump to the larger gear/rotor 48RE pump be beneficial? I don't have a 48RE snouted convertor in it so I'll leave that seal ring out.

running up my post count some more .