So to bring this up to date, I have bought another thermostat (my wife didn't want to see the holes in the wall where the old, last purchased, thermostat was). The old stat is not connected to anything, but it reads the room temp and covers the holes in the wall. All three are Honeywell non-programable heat/ac units. I also purchased 25' of new thermostat wire and some nail in wire holders. $28 total for the new thermostat, 25' of wire, and the wire holders.

The biggest challenge was the new thermostat and the wiring are all on my wife's 3/4s of the huge closet. It had to be wife friendly, if you get what I'm saying. I drilled new holes in the wall behind the new stat, and drilled a hole on the inside of the wall about 18" higher, at the closet hanger bar. Then I fished the wire through the two holes, and attached the wires to the inside wall just under the shelf, and ran the wire down through the closet in the corner, pulled back the carpet, drilled a new hole in the floor, through the basement ceiling tiles and the lower ceiling, and ran the wire to the boiler. I only had about 12" of the thermostat wire extra, which I pushed back into the closet wall. That long 1/2" drill bit sure made that hole in the basement ceiling easier then I expected. It was still nearly 4 hours of effort getting it done.

The new stat is in the back bedroom, on the northern facing (outer) wall of the closet. It is about midway between the three heat registers in the room (this one room used to be the kitchen and the master bedroom. There is a short register on the west wall (used to be in the kitchen and is on the center wall of the house) a register on the north wall (outside wall) and another register on the south wall (the original southern facing bedroom wall). When the house was converted to a single family unit, they completely took out the wall between the kitchen and the bedroom when they removed the kitchen stuff. Then they added the huge walk in closet (4' x 8'). That master bedroom is 14' x 20'. The thermostat is on the north facing wall of the closet, nearly at the center of the 20' length, and about 11' from the north outer wall. I'm hoping there is enough air circulation there. The room only has 2 walk through doors, one on the west wall that is normally closed, and one on the southern wall that is normally open, It connects to the hallway that goes to the front room, the front bedroom, and the bathroom, it is also along the side of the eastern facing closet wall.

Its all set up and it functions, now we will see how well it functions. Its off to a pretty good start, both back bedrooms are at the same temps right now (its 38 degrees outside), something that has not been since the new stats were first installed. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by poorboy; 11/22/23 11:35 PM.