Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Again, any shop that cuts corners is wrong for doing so, and has no business fixing a tricycle. You also agreed with me, at least in part. Bill the customer, let the customer deal with the insurance company. The repair facility's business is with the vehicle owner, not the insurance company.

I don't necessarily agree with that. We always made it clear that we were working for whomever was paying for the repairs. It was the customer's job, primarily, to come to terms with the insurance as to what was to be done. With our input of course. So, I felt I had to make the payer happy. Whomever that was and sometimes it was a little of both.

In both insurance and warranty work, I have often been asked to do more than the covering party has agreed to. ALWAYS when put in that situation, I ask for a significant cash deposit from the owner before the additional work would be performed. And who was responsible for what was made clear from the outset. That way, we were not in the middle of a pi$$ing match which I have seen many times.

In the end, in warranty and insurance work, I felt we were working for who was picking up the tab. Customers frequently want extra work done if they think they won't have to pay for it. I didn't mind going to bat for the customer if his requests were reasonable. And have even went to court for customers. But who is paying for what MUST be clear from the outset. And THAT is who I was working for.

Master, again and still