I think it goes shop by shop even with the chain stores.

When the discount tire opened near me I could go in buy four tires and leave in less than an hour. I needed one lug net the guy gave me a whole set for free. When my son had a flat in CO and I am in TN I bought the tires here and had them installed there. Super helpful. Now it's a 2 hour or more wait if you just drop in and an hour or more with an appointment, if they are available. They still mount and guarantee anything I bring in or drive in but they do register the warranty to the car. That free tire replacement has been super helpful on my Stealth with thin sidewall non factory tires. Most get busted long before they wear out and I get a free tire.

The busier they got the less helpful they become so I guess business being good has an effect. up

My sister went to Walmart for a set of tires. Not factory size they said no. Went to Tire Discounter and got what she wanted. (By the way their free tire alignment was over priced. They left her lower control arms loose. Twice.)

My worst tire store experience was NTB. I went in asking for 2 new tires up front and the best two old tires to be put on the back. He gave me the crap about best tires on the rear. I was okay with swapping them when I get home but then he started with I have to buy 4, and I need this, and that. I told him I won't buy anything from him and went to Firestone and got exactly what I wanted. That NTB went out of business or moved so apparently nobody wanted their B.S. I have similar stories about the Goodyear that went out of business near me too.