Thanks a lot guys, I kind of wondered if through the top was more work than the "convenience" of not having to lift the car... I was just feeling really discouraged from putting this heavy + floppy of a car as high in the air as I last needed to with a much newer & stiffer unibody car which already felt kind of creepy.

I had not considered simply blocking up the wheels higher up with some simple DIY stands like you've shown. That would be a lot more secure (and less stressful on the body) than jackstands I used on my newer car.

I don't have the giant 12 ton jackstands I used for my big-BMW-wagon job anymore either way because Harbor Freight recalled them and I spent the money on other crap grin I'm sure I can get some adequate lumber for way less than buying them again.

I do have a huge truck-sized transmission jack with a tilt head, though last time I used it I had to drag the transmission off of it onto the ground to get it the rest of the way off of the car (and then onto it the opposite way) despite the clearance I got with big stands. I am a skinny wimp but still managed to pull it off. I am motivated to get going on it now!

Last edited by Secret Chimp; 09/08/23 11:32 PM.

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s