I think if you can't make ~700 with any head that flows what a TF 270 or comparable head flows at 500" it's usually due to the owner being afraid to put decent compression in it. The big ports work well if you have enough "bang" to work the ports hard enough.

You don't really need to over cam most of the Aftermarket MW heads to still make decent power (they can flow more at .550 lift than most standard ports do at .650-700) but you can damn-sure under compress them.

A lot of people "want the 270's but they're afraid to run the 11-12:1 the aluminum head needs, IMO many of them would be happier with a 10.5:1 625-650 horse 240 or other standard port that they could easily run pump gas in any weather conditions. If the torque is there through the middle (especially in an Automatic mid 3 geared 3700+ pound b-e body) and they'ed rarely even be able to tell the difference because the Bigger ports don't really start pulling away harder until 4800-5000 anyway. probably better for them to build the 240 port head and run their 10.5:1 and get the neck snapping torque through the middle...and if they really want 700-800, throw a 250 kit on it and jet it small/safe. And the majority of guys we see building these strokers won't blink at dropping 5K into the top end .... but they still expect to run around with the same factory 8 3/4 rear the car had with 1/2 or less horsepower.

I never built an 800 hp BB wedge, though I greatly respect those of you that have.

But these days 800+ for a N/A race motor is easier with a turbo small block or the other brand of motor you could build 2 of for the price of a built B/RB.

And for about the same $$$ once you go to an aftermarket block you could about build a comparable Hemi ...and that would allow you to get a lot bigger Percentage of your money back for it if /when you sell it....And that's probably the main reason I would shy away from a high dollar B/RB race motor.

For me the BB mopar wedge is a torque motor and a great street or street/strip engine, It's cool and nostalgic and all those other great things. But unless you're going aftermarket block anything much over 670-700 hp it's too big a gamble/time bomb for my $$$.

20-25 years ago hardly anybody split a B/RB stock block, and if you did you usually had a really bad tune in the motor.....but that the time was before we had the heads capable of moving the torque peak rpm way past the block's reasonable structural limits.

There's a reason Ma put those cross-bolted mains in their race motors...just my opinion only.

I love the fact we can get 360-400+ cfm heads for our beloved big blocks, it's just over the hot street level of performance I just think (at least for me) at that kind of level there's a lot of other options.

I live near Concord N.C and race shops still have plenty of old NASCAR mopar 358" motors that will handle boost and over 1000 HP

Last edited by Streetwize; 09/05/23 10:16 AM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0