I do feel better with the chain on it but I am ashamed to admit I think my problem was just me expecting to be able to use a 9" ratchet to turn it over. I am glad I measured the cam to crank as I do think the gear drive is not set up to handle to the shorter distance, and so between the short ratchet and the -.010 on the cam to crank difference, that was the problem.

The motors rolls over smoothly using a longer bar as it does take some effort to turn it over with the spring on it, but the squeak is still there. I checked the pushrods and I am good there. I decided to prime it a little without the pan to see if getting some oil in the passages would help my squeak and it didn't. I went ahead and put the pan on it, primed it where i have oil everywhere, then I set the lash and I still have the squeak. I squirted a little oil in the cylinders, still nothing. I have convinced myself the noise is the lifters on the cam. Since there is no constant source of oil on the cam and with the spring pressures every time I roll it over it is basically wiping the oil off the cam, and that is why the noise is bouncing around. I have the Comp cam lube and my dad gave me some Caterpillar cam lube they used at the mines, so I am going generously lube and turn it over to see if I can eliminate the noise.

'75 Plymouth Duster
Phase I 451 906/590/2-660 10.75/126
Phase II 451 Stage VI/590/1050 9.82/135
Phase III 383 906/Victor-Pump gas 11.30/119

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,"