Well, what a highly-coveted car is worth, and what someone will pay, are often enough 2 different things, right ?
And the more money and rarer car that's involved will bring out the fudging, if not outright falsification.
Lots of Hemis were damaged or destroyed, just like Chevy Rat motors or FI small-blocks, and some Chevy guys have been re-stamping blocks for decades.
Hemi cars were inevitably going to catch up on that.
Big Money eventually brings this into pretty much everything.
I've heard Steve Davis at a B-J auction 1st-hand tell a nationwide audience that a particular Hemi car was #-s matching, when I know every inch of that car and it is definitely not.
He claimed their "expert" issued that report after vetting the car.
What's odd is that even though my name & info is in the car's file, nobody has ever contacted me about the car.
Whether that paperwork was removed, or nobody cares, or they don't want to verify, or have their bubble burst, I don't know.
Seems that some folks will pay up for bragging rights, knowing that nobody at the car show is gonna slide under the car and check #s.
While a non-#s engine relieves some worry about breakage, to me, the intent to deceive is discomforting (at the least), and can be indicative of larger issues or falsification.