...so I'm reviewing the pros and cons of running small block magnum exhaust manifolds in an A-body, and I am researching this very situation for my build now, and wanted to pose my ponderings, and to ask if there have been any fresh solutions to the three big issues.

I'm building a 71 Demon (based on a 73 Duster chassis). It will have a nice warm Magnum 318 with OE heads, an 833od 4-speed. It will have power steering, and hydroboost brakes.

As I understand from the wealth of info I've found...drivers side magnum exhaust manifolds have some significant interference issues with 1) a power steering gearbox, 2) the steering column, and 3) the z-bar.

Seems running manual steering resolves the gearbox interference problem, but some grinding is still necessary for the column.

Seems using a standard set of 340 manifolds will resolve all the issues, tho there will be a large disparity between the 340 and magnum exhaust port sizes.

Q1 - Would running 340 manifolds on a magnum head induce legit high-rpm flow problems...or is that not a 'thing'?

Q2 - Is there a proven rack and pinion steering conversion for the A-body's? I looked around and haven't yet found something that is a bolt-in and proven solution. I'm not opposed to going with an aftermarket K-frame and rack n pinion steering if that resolves the steering problems, but I don't want to do a full aftermarket front suspension setup in order to get r&p steering.

Q3 - Will using a hydraulic clutch resolve the 4-speed linkage problem?

...or just pony up the $ for 340 manifolds and fugetaboutit...

Thanks,
- Sam

71 Demon (project): 318, A-833od, 8-3/4, 3.23's
14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Kilroy" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
07 Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4 "Big Mack": 5.9 6BT, G56 'Toy Hauler'
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"