I'd appreciate some urgent advice! After many years I'm finally getting my Challenger finished by a shop due to health and time issues. They've fitted the Power Steering box and the column is about 2 inches too short!

After a lot of looking at before and after photos, I believe that the only cause must be the shear pins. I was very careful when rebuilding the column many years ago but I think I found the 'smoking gun' picture from that time showing where the shear pins should be (I didn't realise at the time that you should actually see the white plastic but from looking online now I think you should).

I thought if the pins were sheared the shaft would slide in and out easily, but again, I guess not (I pulled on it).
It's the original column and I was driving the car before disassembly, so the column must have moved after I removed it, maybe the pins were already sheared.

Anyway - what to do?!
I know the options are basically either just pull the shaft out and assemble as usual (the car will be safe to drive), or remove and disassemble the column and try to use some nylon screws or melt some plastic in there.

Obviously the first option is easier and cheaper, but I'd appreciate all input - is there any downside to this? Could the shaft move within the coupler and want to pull out of it (I think no, gravity is against it) or more possibly want to slide further into the coupler (but the coupler would stop it sliding too far anyway)?

Thanks very much!

Coupler.jpgshear pin.JPG