Originally Posted by modelmakerinc
So, I reconsidered the idea of the 8-3/4" with this big a tire and the eventual 650-700hp big block. work Found a narrowed Dana 60 a few hours away for a decent price with trac-loc and 3.73 gear, had to cut off the brackets and pads it had welded to it.

Took the 8-3/4 out, cut the spot welds off the axle brackets and fit the Dana in its place. it is only an inch narrower than I had planned to cut 8-3/4 so just some 1/2 spacers will all it may need. grin

Man how the differences in a guy's background produces different insights!

Seeing tires that close to the frame still gives me the willy-nilly's!
I come from an old dirt track racing background. In that world, the hard rock sidewall tires that close to a frame rail wouldn't last 2 laps! Even with leaf springs and a panhard bar we wanted to see at least 1 1/2" (2" would be better) between the tire sidewall and anything the tire could make contact with. Between the twist in the frame rails, and the tire sidewall flex of the tires coming off the turns, the tire sidewalls could quickly move an inch or more towards the frame/body on the inside of the curve. I've seen the results of that, on a dirt track, sheet metal is the least of your concerns. I haven't had a dirt track car in nearly 20 years, but some things we just don't get completely over.

You might be OK, but I couldn't do it.