Originally Posted by poorboy
Some are missing some important facts here.
it is a 67 383.
It has a 68 cam.
It was drag raced in its past.
What is the OP definition of "burn the tires"?

Lots seem to want to compare a 67 383 to a 68 or 69, or even a 70 383. The 67 still had the low, flat intake and likely lower compression and would have been a lower HP then the 68-70 versions. There is no mention on which intake it has. We have no idea how that 67 motor is/was. That is important.
It has a newer cam, We assume it was installed correctly, but maybe not. All mechanics are not created equal either. Just a cam swap might have made it better, or worse then it was originally.
All 383s were not created equal, right out of the factory, one car to the next in line, some ran better then others, and some much better then others. Was this 383 a weaker one?
There could have been lots of improvements on the rear suspension to add more traction during its drag race days, or not. We have no idea.
We don't know anything about the condition of the clutch. or the rear end, or the trans, or the suspension, all of which could play into spinning the tires.
We don't even know for sure what the OP's opinion of "smoking the tires" means. Is he expecting a bleach burn out type of "burn the tires" or a break the tires loose kind of thing. Maybe he is expecting black marks left on the street, do the modern Polygalas tires leave black marks? Not many modern tires leave black marks anymore. Could be he is spinning the tires and doesn't know it because there is no smoke, no noise, or no marks on the street.

In my original post (might wanna go back and reread it), I mentioned it had a 68 cam, intake and carb installed along with the later style exhaust manifolds (not the original logs).

Regarding the mechanic that installed the cam, carb and intake, it was Carlon Hine at Hine Motors back in the day. I’m pretty sure Carlon knew what he was doing. At that time, the car did have headers, but they were removed later on in favor of the manifolds after it’s drag racing days were over. When it was drag raced, it ran 14.30s at 98 mph with slicks & 4.10s and was class winner at York US30 dragway as well as Sunset Drag Strip. 3.23s were put back in after it’s drag racing days were over.

It does have an adjustable pinion snubber, so maybe that contributes to the lack of tire spin.

Maybe burning the tires is a bad choice of words. I just thought it might be able to at least squeal them a little bit. Not expecting a funny car smoke show.

'67 is an abbreviation of 1967
67' is an abbreviation of 67 feet
They are not interchangeable.