I know that stick transmissions sap less power to operate from an engine than an auto trans.
I wouldn't think the actual # of hp a given trans consumes would vary with a higher or lower HP engine.
(Just throwing up a number, don't know how accurate it is)
If for example a 727 eats up oh let's say 40hp pushing fluid, centrifugal force of the spinning clutch packs, planetaries etc... I'm guessing that it would be 40 hp whether behind a 100hp /6 or a 500 HP hemi, it would still consult that same 40 hp. Right?
Would a shift kit alter that number?
How bout a different stall speed converter?
How about a lockup (or not?) Converter?
How much more HP would a 727 consume vs say an a500 (early, non electronic)?
How much more than an 833 od?
Talking everything else the same with each variable listed.
Same chassis, same engine, same fuel system, same gear, same tires, same driver, same roads and driving conditions?
I have a d150 with a 727 and have an an a500 and an 833od that I "could" put in there. Given the current status of my project it wouldn't be much difference in cost or labor to go either way given what parts I have available at the moment.
I'm trying to decide which way to go. Planning on 3 season daily driver, mostly country roads, lots of open road between...
Truck is 2wd long bed and has a fresh, built up /6 and 3.23s in it. The 727 is it's original trans and is a lock up version.
I'd need an adapter as was used in 60s /6 applications when used with a 727 to run the a500, otherwise everything else I'd need for whichever option I have on hand.