Originally Posted by tomkelly
Hi all. I’m the guy that worked at the Chrysler Indianapolis Foundry, hiring in the plant originally as a clerk in early 1972. There were a few hundred Hemi blocks (non-machined castings) in the storage yard at that time. One of my duties was to inventory the 100,000 +/- castings weekly.
I was drafted into the Army in October 1972 so not sure what occurred in ‘73-‘75 but Hemi blocks were gone when I came back. When plant was closing in mid 2000s a friend in Production Control asked if I was interested in some old files and gave me a copy of the plant Gross Production Record sheet issued in July 1997 (see attached). It lists castings (in 1000s) by year and block (Cu. In. Displacement) since 1961 so it covered Chrysler in-house Hemi block production. This would not cover later outsourced (other Foundries) production. When I returned to the plant from the service the Hemi tooling was also gone. Don’t know it’s status. Hopefully I got this Product Record to attach properly. Happy Veterans Day my brothers and sisters! Tom Kelly

Tom, to the best of your knowledge, did the Indianapolis foundry use this foundry mark? The reason I ask is that I had a set of 1970 Hemi exhaust manifolds with strange casting dates and what appears to be a foundry mark. After a lot of effort could never definitely identify either.

Foundry Mark.JPG

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".