Long story short, the parking brake didn't work when I got my '74 crew. Now in FL it wasn't a big deal, but I replaced the front cable, shoes and cylinders, I did not replace the drums, still didn't hold the truck. Everything works as it should and moves freely. So now I'm in the mountains and a parking brake is sorely needed as there isn't a level piece of ground to be found and some spots are pretty steep. So I replaced the drums, still won't hold the truck. Figured the shoes were cheap crap so I replaced them with Napa premium shoes, $80 worth. Now it is only slightly better if I really push the pedal through the firewall. Are the linings really that crappy any more? I haven't done much with drum brakes in the last decade or two. Do the shoes need to seated like some disc pads do?
I thought about converting to rear discs like I did my '92 but didn't want to spend that money on it right now. I might put a 1/4 turn ball valve in the front brake line like I did to the rears of the '92. That works well on that truck. Forgot, it's a full floating Dana 60 axle with 12 x 2-1/2 brakes.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.