Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by BDW
Well that was a F'in nightmare,
Flex plate is a universal deal that fits 3 different configurations, took me forever to find the right orientation......
Crawling under car, try, crawl back out, turn motor using socket..........rinse and repeat.

And there was not enough room to use a torque wrench, so calibrated crank and loctite will have to do.

Thx for all the replies, but unless there's a low profile 1/4" torque wrench / socket combo, its not happening.....

Torqueflite? I have to assume you haven't done the scallop cut at the bottom of the bell housing. Makes life easier.

scalloped bell housing?
Its a 518, starter not installed, only bolts exposed are at bottom and blocked by oil pan, just not enough room to get a socket in there.
I understand why everyone mentioned using a wrench.
My bad not marking the orientation before starting.
I did mark it with a paint dab, but I really hope this thing never comes back apart.

To add insult to injury, the motor mounts pushed the whole assembly forward 1/4-1/2",
and that was just enough so that the trans mount no longer aligned.
Had to pull the trans cross member and increase the mounting holes for both the transmission cross member and trans mount to get to bolt together, what started out as a 1 hr project took me all day.

Something on this order - most guys make a square cut out - this pic is from a diesel or gas 618. Ignore the highlighted circles.

17167E3D-E6FA-42FE-B0EF-97ED5FEAFE49.jpeg
Last edited by Transman; 08/08/22 07:13 PM.