Moparts

TC bolt tightening sequence

Posted By: BDW

TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 03:58 PM

Mating up my 518 to Gen 3 Hemi,
Torque converter to flex plate spec is only 25 ft-lbs.

Any reason to go in steps, 15, 20, 25, or just go straight to 25 on each bolt?

Thx
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 05:57 PM

Rotate the thing and just get them snug to make sure nothing is jammed up. It should pull up and seat on the flex plate easily. I rotate the thing around a few times just tightening as I go to the desired tightness. One of the few places I don't use a torque wrench.

25 is not real tight. Just a few little ooga-doogas with a long wrench.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 06:01 PM

And red Loctite.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 06:19 PM

What they said, just make sure they all started before tighting. I use a short box end wrench to make sure I don’t get to tight
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 06:48 PM

If you don't have a good 1/4 or 3/8 drive inch lb. torque wrench borrow or buy one and then multiply the Ft. lbs. by 12 to get the inch lb. of torque needed to tighten it, Example 23x12=276 Inh lb. scope wrench twocents
The reason I do that is most 1/2 drive torque wrenches aren't very accurate or good below 25 Ft. Lb. twocents work scope
Posted By: Sniper

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 07:09 PM

What Cab says is correct, most torque wrenches are most accurate in the middle of the scale and least accurate at either end. Torque wrenches are cheap enough anymore that I have three that cover the gamut of what I need. 0-250 in/lbs, 10-100 ft/lbs and 50-250 ft/lbs will about cover all you need unless you are a diesel mechanic or something. I also have a torque screwdriver that handles the really small stuff, but I only use it for carbs.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 07:47 PM

Lock tight and my hand, always the same torque after 50 years. Not one has come loose.
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Rotate the thing and just get them snug to make sure nothing is jammed up. It should pull up and seat on the flex plate easily. I rotate the thing around a few times just tightening as I go to the desired tightness. One of the few places I don't use a torque wrench.

25 is not real tight. Just a few little ooga-doogas with a long wrench.

Yup long shank slim 1/2 drive snap on wrench and locktight. Just don't try to gorilla them and it will be fine.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Lock tight and my hand, always the same torque after 50 years. Not one has come loose.

Probably the lock tite and not the hand doing that. Never used lock tite, never had one come loose that I installed either.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Probably the lock tite and not the hand doing that. Never used lock tite, never had one come loose that I installed either.

You mean to tell me you can’t ‘feel’ the right torque after pulling wrenches that long?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 11:11 PM

47 years of installing race transmissions and I’ve never found the need to use a torque wrench. But like said earlier I also use red loctite

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/06/22 11:40 PM

Thx for the replies, the 70 FSM says 270 in-lbs,

My 1/4" TW only goes to 200
So I'll use my 5-80 ft-lb 3/8" drive

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 12:26 AM

You mean to tell me you can’t ‘feel’ the right torque after pulling wrenches that long?

Not a matter of feeling it, it's a matter of knowing it without a doubt. I don't care to do a job more than once.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 03:50 AM

Not a matter of feeling it, it's a matter of knowing it without a doubt. I don't care to do a job more than once.

Knowing when to use a torque wrench is the key, I don’t need to use one putting on fender bolts.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 04:41 AM

Do you have one of those calibrated elbows also whistling grin wrench

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Long gone, locks up to much now like all the other joints lol
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 01:36 PM

Like was already said.
Red Locktight.
Finger tighten all bolts to be sure they are aligned.
Tighten tight without torque wrench. I always felt given the size of the bolts inch lbs was too little.

and

NEVER use washers on TQ.

You would be surprised how often I have found this. Usually shows up as loose bolts that create lots of noise and often a front pump chewed up from the TQ moving around.

Also I am sure you know but TQ bolts are not regular bolts. They have short heads to clear the tranny/engine.

No need to do the stepped torque but it won't hurt. I always check the bolts 2 times anyway. Don't as why i started doing that. LOL

Posted By: TJP

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

I do, developed it about 50 years ago after stripping out many threads spank, Still works well smile It's actually developed the ability to "FEEL" the threads pulling while tightening or loosening shock beer
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 06:24 PM

Read the recent thread here about "place bolts". Most of the factory converter and flexplate bolts were place bolts that need nothing additional but, since there are other types of bolts used nowadays, Loctite is cheap insurance.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

Read the recent thread here about "place bolts". Most of the factory converter and flexplate bolts were place bolts that need nothing additional but, since there are other types of bolts used nowadays, Loctite is cheap insurance.

Since the 90s all the converter bolts (at least the ones for dodge trucks) come with loctite on them and to not reuse the old ones.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 10:54 PM

Well that was a F'in nightmare,
Flex plate is a universal deal that fits 3 different configurations, took me forever to find the right orientation......
Crawling under car, try, crawl back out, turn motor using socket..........rinse and repeat.

And there was not enough room to use a torque wrench, so calibrated crank and loctite will have to do.

Thx for all the replies, but unless there's a low profile 1/4" torque wrench / socket combo, its not happening.....

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/07/22 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Flex plate is a universal deal that fits 3 different configurations, took me forever to find the right orientation......
Crawling under car, try, crawl back out, turn motor using socket..........rinse and repeat.

And there was not enough room to use a torque wrench, so calibrated crank and loctite will have to do.

Thx for all the replies, but unless there's a low profile 1/4" torque wrench / socket combo, its not happening.....

Now spray paint the converter and flex plate by one of the bolts so it’s easy to line up next time. I do this on the floor before installation.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
And red Loctite.

I use blue on Cummins convertors and never heard of them loosening.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 02:26 PM

Since the 90s all the converter bolts (at least the ones for dodge trucks) come with loctite on them and to not reuse the old ones.

I spent a couple year hopping up transmissions for 2nd Gen Dodges with Cummins and V10's about 2002/3 , always reused the bolts with blue loctite , no issues I ever heard of ...

YMMV

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 02:52 PM

Blue, red it doesn’t matter and isn’t worth arguing over. Just remember to clean any oil from the bolts and converter threads.
Posted By: moparx

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 03:30 PM

"Now spray paint the converter and flex plate by one of the bolts so it’s easy to line up next time. I do this on the floor before installation."

iagree i do this before i separate the transmission if i'm going to use the same combo, and it hasn't been marked like this previously.
makes life SO much easier !
beer
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

Torqueflite? I have to assume you haven't done the scallop cut at the bottom of the bell housing. Makes life easier.

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

Did you remove the starter? Straight shot on both sides of pan too. But that’s why we eventually just use a box wrench and screw driver to hold the ring gear.
Posted By: TJP

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
"Now spray paint the converter and flex plate by one of the bolts so it’s easy to line up next time. I do this on the floor before installation."
iagree i do this before i separate the transmission if i'm going to use the same combo, and it hasn't been marked like this previously.
beer

X3
I'll also do so with the flex plate if it's off or use another/ spare before install wink beer

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by BDW

Torqueflite? I have to assume you haven't done the scallop cut at the bottom of the bell housing. Makes life easier.

scalloped bell housing?
Its a 518, starter not installed, only bolts exposed are at bottom and blocked by oil pan, just not enough room to get a socket in there.
I understand why everyone mentioned using a wrench.
My bad not marking the orientation before starting.
I did mark it with a paint dab, but I really hope this thing never comes back apart.

To add insult to injury, the motor mounts pushed the whole assembly forward 1/4-1/2",
and that was just enough so that the trans mount no longer aligned.
Had to pull the trans cross member and increase the mounting holes for both the transmission cross member and trans mount to get to bolt together, what started out as a 1 hr project took me all day.

Attached picture 66665052-975D-4315-9550-EF43882AEC86.jpeg
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/08/22 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by BDW

scalloped bell housing?
Its a 518, starter not installed, only bolts exposed are at bottom and blocked by oil pan, just not enough room to get a socket in there.
I understand why everyone mentioned using a wrench.
My bad not marking the orientation before starting.
I did mark it with a paint dab, but I really hope this thing never comes back apart.

To add insult to injury, the motor mounts pushed the whole assembly forward 1/4-1/2",
and that was just enough so that the trans mount no longer aligned.
Had to pull the trans cross member and increase the mounting holes for both the transmission cross member and trans mount to get to bolt together, what started out as a 1 hr project took me all day.

Something on this order - most guys make a square cut out - this pic is from a diesel or gas 618. Ignore the highlighted circles.

Attached picture 17167E3D-E6FA-42FE-B0EF-97ED5FEAFE49.jpeg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/09/22 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
beer

X3
I'll also do so with the flex plate if it's off or use another/ spare before install wink beer

Same. Oldest trick in the book.
Posted By: moparx

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/11/22 03:44 PM

"what started out as a 1 hr project took me all day."

you realize there is no such thing as a "1 hour" project ? laugh2
beer

Re: TC bolt tightening sequence - 08/11/22 05:18 PM

"what started out as a 1 hr project took me all day."

you realize there is no such thing as a "1 hour" project ? laugh2
beer