So, my refresh made a total of 6 passes before it kicked a rod. Now, from my own post-mortem, it appears that a crack in #3 cyl wall let in some water. The piston encountered said water at about 6500, and took the wrist pin right out. I'm down two rods, a piston, and a pan. Needs a sleeve, obviously. The cam has some nicks, and some marks you can just barely feel with a fingernail. IIRC, I can send it back to Comp for a repair. If not, new it is. The pistons, luckily are still current in the KB/Icon catalog, as are the Eagle rods. #3/4 rod journal is not pretty.
What is of deeper concern is the state of the bearings. I put new mains and rod bearings in, and several are not pretty. #5 and #6 rod bearings are showing copper, and the mains are just plain rough. I assembled using liberal amounts of Lubriplate, as I have in the past. The engine was very well pre-oiled, and oil pressure was good on initial fire-up. Even if I hadn't cracked a cylinder, this thing was on borrowed time. It's worth noting that the two actual good passes I got, out of six, it ran almost a full tenth quicker than it had been, with a 1.52 60' launching it with a solid 700-800 more on the converter than it has ever liked in the past. And .050 less valve lift (Thank you PRW rockers.) What might I have done to hurt those bearings so quickly? I'll try and post up some pics later.