I have 440-1 heads that have been milled to a point they are possibly too thin for very high compression or any power adder. So what to do if i want to strengthen them?
Here is my radical idea. A sheet of the right grade of aluminum could be water jet cut to the dimensions of a head gasket, leaving metal in the closed portion of each chamber. All bolt holes, chambers and water passages would be enlarged by enough to allow a heavy weld bead to be used to bond the sheet of aluminum. End result would be a heavy bead of weld would be supporting the fire ring areas, all bolt holes and water passages. If needed, plug welds could be used to add strength anywhere it may be needed, like in the chamber area
After welding each hole starting from the center and moving out, the head could now be decked to create a flat deck surface again.
I have access to a waterjet, possibly through a relative. The sheet could be .62 to . 125 thick and be milled back to .050 or . 100 . I can open up the bolt holes and other passages to provide room for the welds. I could also do the welding with a spool gun. Clean up chambers and holes, then send out for milling.
Anyone done anything similar to this? It would save a very good set of heads if successful. Replacement cost ( versus repair) of the castings and port work would be more than $4,000.00 cost of this repair,
Under $500. Ok welders and machinists, lets hear your thoughts!

Last edited by gregsdart; 01/28/22 10:44 AM.

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky