Originally Posted by topside
It's been a LONG time since I've used a rubber VC gasket - switched to cork decades ago, which in my experience seal better.
I know some guys swear by the ribbed rubber/silicone kind too, but I'm still a "cork guy" in that application.

What I like about the cork is they usually have tabs that fit into slots on the covers to hold them in place. These rubber ones I bought don't have tabs so you have to rtv them in place...

I know with certain gaskets they need to be in pristine condition and dry but since oil leeked on these is it possible to wipe them clean and slather them with rtv and reinstall them? Would I be waisting my time?? Should I just order a new set??

I'm going to make some load spreaders and probably buy studs so I can torque them down more...

Edit: I just did a quick search and apparently the rubber vc gaskets can be reused! Since I rtv'ed them to the cover I should be able to pull them off and just wipe them down... What can I use to clean the gasket material that won't destroy it??

I just thought of something! I'll need to flatten the covers again and I can't since the gaskets are rtv'ed to the cover! Unless using the load spreaders flattens them for me??

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 01/11/22 12:47 PM.