Originally Posted by topside
Rocker arm covers = valve covers; it's technically more accurate wording, I guess.

As for torque, honestly I don't recall measuring; enough to compress a cork gasket but not enough to bend the tin.
Generally I kind of sneak up on the final tightness after a few heat cycles.
I would guess I end up around 15 ft-lbs, maybe a couple more.
I like to glue or seal the gasket to the cover, and smear a little grease on the head-side of the gasket.

15ftlbs?? Seems like I would definitely cause some damage with that amount of torque... I think the last time I torqued them was about 100inchlbs and I started to bend the metal a little... If I don't torque them enough though there will definitely be oil starting to leak and at that point the gaskets will be shot...
I also have the rubber "infused" gaskets which I assume are stronger than the cork one's...
It really is confusing finding the correct torque specs because the gaskets, depending on the material, can only handle so much...
For example the cork gaskets for the transmission pan splits before you reach the specified torque but with a paper material gasket it's fine... I try and avoid cork if I can.
So the 40 inch lbs I'm at is the bare minimum I presume...

I'd also point out that the Haynes Manual says to clean the mating surfaces with a cleaner or the seal will develope a leak but I also understand some gaskets can be sprayed or coated with a lubricant to prevent sticking... I like the idea of being able to reuse the gasket if I need to take those covers off again but I also don't like to neglect the instructions...
Won't putting grease on one side of the gaskets cause them to leak???