Originally Posted by Sniper
I am the kind of welder that epitomizes the bigger the blob the better the job type. All these fancy machines would be a gigantic waste of money for me with my skill set. A cheapo HF one that would allow me to glob on more weld, or maybe actually learn to weld with, would be my starting point.

Total mistake

First of all, "the bigger the blob ... the WEAKER the job" is more like it. In welding, more is only better if each pass is done properly. You need penetration INTO the base metal - anything above the base metal is of little use.

Second, a cheapo welder will have you chasing your tail. A good welder will give you accurate setting recommendations, taking the guesswork out of that. Thus, you can focus on your technique without debating if the settings are at fault.

And there are also some VERY IMPORTANT things to keep in mind to create good welds. In no particular order

Good eyesight within about 18" of what you're welding.
A good mask that fits under your helmet - you won't believe the amount of sh!t welding generates
A mixed gas for mig - straight CO2 is fine but generates a lot of spatter. With a mixed gas (CO2/Argon) you will achieve very clean welds once you develop your technique.
Clean wire - if you don't weld for extended periods, take your wire out of the welder and store it in a baggie. The amount of rust needed to degrade a weld is almost invisible on the wire. Also, the rust will clog the feed rollers as well as the whip liner and degrade the electrical contact.
Weld clean metal - rust, paint and mill scale will contaminate a weld.
Get comfortable before doing your weld. If running a bead, go through the motion first to ensure you'll be comfortable through the entire length.
Use two hands - one operating the gun, the other providing support. One-handed welding takes a LOT of practice - don't waste your time trying one-handed welding until you master welding with two hands.