Originally Posted by Sniper
Trust me, I have used good welders and it didn't turn my welds into anything good.

I have an old, got it used from a rental place in 1991, Lincoln stick welder. Nothing magical about it. Tried a good mig welder at work, did nothing magical either.

Now I can solder, I can silver solder, I can braze, but not weld.

Mig and stick welding use a pretty similar process to stick two pieces of metal together. If you don't understand the process, a welder you will never be.

If you can braze good (good is the important word, does the braze hold together every time?) Have you tried to use steel filler rod using the same process you use to braze? If you can braze, you should be able to replace the brass rod with a steel rod and do the same thing. If you can steel weld, you probably would learn to use a tig much easier because both of those use a similar process.

If when your welding what you see is a big blob, you need a better helmet, clean lenses, or better eye glasses. You should be able to see both edges of the metal you are welding together and the weld puddle melting between the two pieces of metal. A blob just tells me you are melting the filler (solder or brazing rod) on top of the metal and not getting the metal hot enough for the filler to bite.