Originally Posted by TJP
The biggest issue I have always had is being able to actually see the tip of the wire / arc and the material being joined through the hood lens. I have a Jackson helmet which is a few years old but fully adjustable tint wise etc. It's almost as though the ambient light is coming through the backside of the hood affecting my ability to see the material. I can see the arc but not the material / puddle. I've tried adjusting lighter and darker on the lens and will say the lighter setting seems to help but I still have trouble seeing the material / puddle. I thought maybe oneof the more experienced welders might have a suggestion other than turning the lights out shruggy beer

Try a cheater lens like Little John suggested. I remember playing around with magnified hood lenses when I first started production welding, but eventually went with lined bifocal lenses in my prescription safety glasses. I did have the line raised a little bit so that it was easier on my neck. Maybe 1/4" or 3/8"? And I have seen guys who put their up-close correction not only on the bottom of their lenses, but also at the top. I liked the concept but never tried it.

Ambient lighting is a biggie, for sure. Some lighting there is little to no ability to control, but as you said, it may be coming in from the backside of your hood. And possibly from down around your chin area. Check to see if there are cloth extended coverage options specific to your hood or you might have to go with generic.