Originally Posted by MarkZ
It has been brought up on multiple occasions for forum members to be able to donate monthly to the site. I've offered and others have too. Never hear anything from management.

This is a community as well and everyone here is entitled to respectfully communicated opinions. If you want to take a business only approach to it then this place only exists because of the forum members taking their time to share their knowledge. If the interface of the board is being rendered unusable then maybe we should listen.

I interpret the above to mean that the forum is what it is because of the members and not the management, right?
I agree. It is that way on every forum though, in my opinion.
There needs to be some Moderation and management but without great members, there would be nothing worthwhile to manage.

I have seen some Moderators on some forums take the attitude that THEY are to be credited with the success of the site. No, screw that. Much like this country and the Government, the freedom to express and share experiences is what helps others, not oppression and heavy handed Policing.

Regarding the original topic: I find it strange that a member has to take measures to avoid pesky ads, a situation that the site owner is clearly aware of yet chooses to keep in place. A smaller ad that didn't annoy people would likely be seen by many more and generate MORE sales for that advertiser but no....lets hit the members with a sledge hammer so they resort to a complete blockage of all ads. REAL effective tactics, advertisers....
For the record, I see no ads except the car related ones in the banner at the top. That is fine because that is why I joined this forum. I love these cars and see the parts and service ads as helpful. I don't need reminders about soup crackers, laundry detergent, Political campaigns or anything else.