I've had this 01 Durango for 8-9 years now. almost 300K miles on body. One of the biggest annoyances has been the blower motor resistor. I've replaced it 5 or so times since I have owned. I can tell the PO has replaced it before as well, the pigtail had already been chopped and replaced.
Since I have had it I've also changed the pigtail at least 2x. I have also replaced the blower motor thinking it was wore out, drawing too much current. this most recent one went 2 winters, longest of any I have put in. sometimes I don't even get 1 season from them.
Is there any other resistor I can wire in, (yeah I'm OK with re replacing pigtail to match) that would be more heavy duty than the OE setup? I'm beyond tired of this issue. I think the problem lies in the small contacts at the pigtail/resistor interface being too small (not enough surface area) for the current involved. Again yesterday I was coming back to work from lunch and my wife calls.... (I work about 35 miles away from where she works) blower worked fine on way to work, she shut it off and went into work, comes out for lunch and..... nothing. so last nite I replaced the resistor AGAIN. I drove that thing all over the day before, (luckily) it was fine then. good thing because I had to take mother in law to Dr appointment. Id have not heard the end of it, if it had gone out then..... and one terminal in the last failed resistor, and matching terminal were burnt within the connector.
and since replacing resistor I smell hot wiring again, usually do for a couple days after replacing it......